Thread: Steel Structure on Through Hardened blade?

Steel Structure on Through Hardened blade?

Hi, what would be the steel structure on a through hardened blade body, of like 55-60 HRC hardness? martensite?

Also wouldn't it make a Through hardned blade of this hardness be extremely brittle? But some of the toughest beaters out there are TH blades.

Cheers

In the usual process, you will mostly be looking at getting martensitic structure. It will need to be well tempered, ofcourse. I marquench to get blades in the mid range 50s, but the majority of production stuff has traditionally been in the lower 50's and below for western styled blades. In katana or other blades I'm not sure about the usual hardnesses in through hardened blades.

But, yes, the 56-60 can be quite too brittle if the tempering is not done well and I doubt that you'll find many through hardened blades left much above the 56 to 57 range....

Anyway, this is kind of a general answer since there may always be exceptions....

Yulan, NY, yes I know you have never heard of it:D
    Well Said Scott. I would like to see though a lower 60s RC sword with a good temper though, it seems that if you temper a high RC blade, you lose some RC points, but if you start with a higher number you still get good flex and non brittleness, but with a higher hardness still.
    I dunno. Iron is sort-of the Paris Hilton of metals, and carbon, nickel, chromium silicon, etc. are a bunch of good looking guys she just met at a party. - Al Massey

since u guys are bladesmiths, you could experiment?

On a side note, me and my mate the other night (being complete idiots as usual) , we had a massive fire, contained with fire bricks and all, in his back yard.

We put a huge metal barbie plate over it to cook some eggs and what not, then we had this awesome idea to heat some metal....

So we found a random steel rod (round) and shoved it througha gap in the bricks and fanned some air into it.

Later got a thick slab of metal (our anvil) and one sledge hammer and one normal hammer, and started beating the tip of the rod down flat at red/orange colour rod.

It was cool (danegerous i know) the thing was sparkling every time we hit it and flakes were coming off.

We did this until we had about 4 inches of the end of the rod completely flat liek a spear blade, and quenched it.

We're gonna grind it so it looks more liek a spear blade and see if we can put an edge on it....