Thread: Any production seaxes out there?

Any production seaxes out there?

Anyone know of any production scramseaxes or langseaxes that are currently offered anywhere? I'd like to eventually find one (although buying a sword the other day seriously depleted my discretionary spending for awhile).
    If not, what smith could make me a good broken back seax blade to hilt myself for a reasonable price?
    Thanks

Yulan, NY, yes I know you have never heard of it:D
    A couple questions what does a broken back seax blade look like, how long you want it, and what would you consider a reasonable price?
    I dunno. Iron is sort-of the Paris Hilton of metals, and carbon, nickel, chromium silicon, etc. are a bunch of good looking guys she just met at a party. - Al Massey

Sam -
    To answer what a broken back seax is...
    http://www.myarmoury.com/feature_seax.html

I have seen pics of the work that you are doing for another member of this forum and it does seem to be a pretty nice peice of work. I had actually thought of contacting you about it but right now funds are just about nonexistent, at least until I sell something. But I'll PM you and maybe by the time I can afford it you won't be too busy to make it.

Quote Originally Posted by Harold R View Post
    Anyone know of any production scramseaxes or langseaxes that are currently offered anywhere?
    Yup....
    http://www.lutel.cz/ (look in the "catalog" section under "knives")
    You can order directly, or www.a-work-of-art.net imports Lutel in the US.

http://www.deltin.it/2060.htm
    You can order directly, or through either A Work of Art or Viking Shield (http://viking-shield.com/).

There's always the Paul Chen/Hanwei scramasaxes, they make four different models, a "standard", a rebated "practical", and two shorties. The short ones are nice little knives. The standard version is kind of odd-looking and very blade heavy. The "practical" handles very nicely, but looks like a big butter knife. And all four versions can be had at Viking Shield.

Paul Binns makes a wide variety of saxes, in both rebated-edge "reenactment" and sharp versions: http://www.paul-binns-swords.co.uk/Seaxes.htm
    (He also makes langsax-type swords)

This is not a complete list by any means, but it should give you a good starting point....
    David K. Wilson, Jr., Laird of Glencoe
    The best laid schemes o' mice an' men, gang aft agley... -- Robert Burns

See, it is I who created the blacksmith
    who fans the coals into flame
    and forges a weapon fit for its work.

-- Isaiah 54:16

Thanks. I have been trying to see what my options are as far as the style with a sort of primitive "clipped" shape. No one seems to make one like I want it so I am thinking that I'll probably have to go with having a smith make it for me. But all the information and links help me figure out what I want and who I should contact to see about getting it made (when I can actually afford it that is!). I appreciate the advice.

Thanks. I have been trying to see what my options are as far as the style with a sort of primitive "clipped" shape. No one seems to make one like I want it so I am thinking that I'll probably have to go with having a smith make it for me. But all the information and links help me figure out what I want and who I should contact to see about getting it made (when I can actually afford it that is!). I appreciate the advice.

Well, custom is always a good option, and you will find yourself in luck if you look around... there are more than a few of us that like to make the seax in one form or another. So, if you have the money and the time, somebody out there will be happy to help you out...

Seaxes popup on the Himalayan Imports deal of the day once in a while.

Not really production, I know....

Quote Originally Posted by J. Sourdough View Post
    Seaxes popup on the Himalayan Imports deal of the day once in a while.

Not really production, I know....
    The HI seaxes tend to be more Nepalese interpretations of the seax design than anything historical. If historical provenance is of concern to you, I would be rather careful wen looking at HI seaxes.
    Trying to walk in the Light, Hugh
    See 1 John 1:5

Yep - I want one without rivets or pins in the tang. From the pics I have seen of surviving seax blades most had rat-tail tangs that just fit in with friction or some other method of attaching to the handle. Some Danish ones had curved tangs that might have "sprung" a little when inserted into a handle to help hold it in. (?)
    I have seen one that had a three lobed pommel with the tang peened in, but only one. But what I am looking to get is a general purpose Saxon styled seax that is just shy of langseax size - maybe a 14" blade with 5" of handle.
    I might allow just a little deviation in the interests of safety and function, but three or four big pins and two slabs for a handle don't fit with any of the examples I have seen so its not what I am going to want.
    But I still have time before I can even afford to think about it. Its all research at this point. Again, thanks for the information. I really appreciate all the help I can get on these things.

Quote Originally Posted by Hugh Fuller View Post
    The HI seaxes tend to be more Nepalese interpretations of the seax design than anything historical. If historical provenance is of concern to you, I would be rather careful wen looking at HI seaxes.

Bryan Baker at svord knives in New Zealand does a nice Viking scramasax, and I'm sure he will be able to make what you want. his website: svord.com
    You have to listen for the song. Every great individual sword has her own song. Once you find that song and hear it clearly, then you can fight with it, for the song is the very essence of the sword. The sword was not forged to decorate walls or be a lifted signal of victory and dominance, but to cut flesh bone and sinew, and kill. She is not an extension of your manhood, nor an expression of your selfhood. She is an instrument of death.

Hi Harold,

Unfortunately there's lots of things out there being sold as saxes, but none that actually reproduce the originals. At least not accurate enough for me to call them saxes. However I see an increasing demand in accurate reproductions, and some people are in the process of having customs made. So in the not too distant future more accurate saxes may start to become available.

Yep - I want one without rivets or pins in the tang. From the pics I have seen of surviving seax blades most had rat-tail tangs that just fit in with friction or some other method of attaching to the handle. Some Danish ones had curved tangs that might have "sprung" a little when inserted into a handle to help hold it in. (?)
    Are you refering to the broad bladed ones like these perhaps?
    http://1501bc.com/page/national_muse...f/07190041.jpg
    Those aren't saxes, but an earlier type of single edged weapon (which had a sandwich hilt construction).

I have seen one that had a three lobed pommel with the tang peened in, but only one.
    There's various saxes with metal pommels (either iron or gilded silver). These are generally of the narrow sax type, with is a early type of sax (broken back saxes are the last type).

But what I am looking to get is a general purpose Saxon styled seax that is just shy of langseax size - maybe a 14" blade with 5" of handle.
    I might allow just a little deviation in the interests of safety and function, but three or four big pins and two slabs for a handle don't fit with any of the examples I have seen so its not what I am going to want.
    But I still have time before I can even afford to think about it. Its all research at this point. Again, thanks for the information. I really appreciate all the help I can get on these things.
    I've done my fair bit of research so far on saxes. The result you can find here:
    http://1501bc.com/files/information_about_saxes.zip

I eventually intend to produce some various accurate reproductions of saxes myself. Currently I have two in production, a small broken back sax (half scale blade, nearly finished), and a Frankish langsax. I hope to have both finished within the next few months.
    Last edited by Jeroen Zuiderwijk; 09-12-2007 at 02:41 AM.

The link you gave for information doesn't work.
    Tinkerswords.com Fine knives, swords and daggers in the style of the European Middle Ages and Viking Era

"Then, one night as my car was going backwards through a cornfield an ninety miles per hour, I had an epiphany..."

Luke 22:36 Then said he unto them, But now, he that hath a purse, let him take it, and likewise his scrip: and he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one.

Yulan, NY, yes I know you have never heard of it:D
    Maybe Sean Belair can get on here and talk about the historic ones with hollow pinned on handles?
    I dunno. Iron is sort-of the Paris Hilton of metals, and carbon, nickel, chromium silicon, etc. are a bunch of good looking guys she just met at a party. - Al Massey

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Tinker Pearce View Post
    The link you gave for information doesn't work.
    Sorry, should be working now.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeroen Zuiderwijk View Post
    Thanks- I have the download now.
    Tinkerswords.com Fine knives, swords and daggers in the style of the European Middle Ages and Viking Era

"Then, one night as my car was going backwards through a cornfield an ninety miles per hour, I had an epiphany..."

Luke 22:36 Then said he unto them, But now, he that hath a purse, let him take it, and likewise his scrip: and he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one.

Very interesting- thank you very much for making this information available. It's particularly interesting to me how many of these have centered or even turned up points; this is very much contrary to earlier information in books such as Peterson's "Daggers and Fighting Knives of the Western World" and some other resources that suggested that the 'clipped' point was unique to Britain. Very glad to have seen this!!

On a more selfish note the features present on some of the hilts suggest that some of my recreations that were dismissed as 'fanciful' or 'fantasy' were a great deal more on-target than was generally thought (sometimes even by me!) at the time that they were created.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeroen Zuiderwijk View Post
    Wow!
    You really did put a lot of work into researching this. Thank you for sharing it with us.
    I have contacted a couple of smiths and will probably contact a couple more to see who I think will be able to make me what I want (without costing me a kidney).
    I plan to order one soon but I still have to do just a little more research to make sure I really get what I want out of this.
    BTW - somewhere on here I read about white hart forge. Someone posted pics of a couple seaxes they made and links to their site but now I can't find that post again.
    Does anyone know anything about them?

Not exactly what you're looking for, but cheaper- I'll copy what I put in a post in the classifieds where someone was looking for the same:

If you're handy with tools, one thing I've been thinking about doing is getting one of the Cold Steel Seax machetes and re-hilting and re-finishing it...
    http://www.coldsteel-knives.com/sear...c=85&m=1000057

They come in two blade lengths, as you'll see.
    Freelance hack... and slash... and thrust...

Actually, I think I am the guy in the classifieds who is looking for the same. I have been asking a lot of questions and doing a lot of searches lately.

I don't know if I would go with another CS machete. I have one that I picked up because it looked relatively solid and it was on clearance at a local sporting goods store. I think I paid $10 for it. I was kind of excited (new BIG knife !) so I went out in the woods behind my dad's house and tried it on some small stuff. After a couple cuts I looked at the edge and found that it had dented and rolled over in a couple places. I had been very careful not to hit anything too hard or strike the ground with it so I know it wasn't from abuse - it was from normal machete type use. The machete also now has a slight bend to it but that is from abuse. After I realized that it was a useless machete I started using it for all kinds of abusive stuff like throwing. It has very little spring and just seems to stay bent but can be easily straightened back out.
    IF CS has improved them then one of their sax machetes might be cool in its own right (I still want a "real" seax though) but if not you'd be better off to get something else. Curiously, almost all of CS's other stuff seems to get pretty good reviews. I'd still buy that stuff (and have requested one of their norse tomahawks for my bday).

Sadness... I've been pretty happy with my 1917 cutlasses from them...
    Freelance hack... and slash... and thrust...

Well Jim from http://www.viking-shield.com and I have been talking and it looks like we will be supplying him with a Seax line in the near future. along with some viking swords and some Viking jewelry that Kerry makes.

Even if this falls through look for some sort of seax to be introduced into our production line early next year if not sooner.

This gives you forumites a chance to share in the design of what will be a production sword for BKS. I have looked at whats out there and in the price range that we plan to it there isnt much out there.

So if you guys want to pitch in ideas for blade shapes and sizes, feel free.
    Last edited by Matthew Stagmer; 09-25-2007 at 01:05 PM.
    "If you can draw it, we can make it".
    "ART SHOULD HURT"

Matt Stagmer - Sword Maker @ BKS

www.Baltimoreknife.com
    www.Facebook.com/Baltimoreknife

Matt - Check you email. I contacted you about being a "guinea pig" for this project since I am in need of a seax anyhow. I have contacted several smiths about this and am in sort of a "research" phase right now but I plan to place an order with someone soon (unless I somehow manage to stumble onto what I want in the classifieds on here).
    Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Matthew Stagmer View Post
    Well Jim from http://www.viking-shield.com and I have been talking and it looks like we will be supplying him with a Seax line in the near future. along with some viking swords and some Viking jewelry that Kerry makes.

Even if this falls through look for some sort of seax to be introduced into our production line early next year if not sooner.

This gives you forumites a chance to share in the design of what will be a production sword for BKS. I have looked at whats out there and in the price range that we plan to it there isnt much out there.

So if you guys want to pitch in ideas for blade shapes and sizes, feel free.

Viking/Anglosaxon period seaxes

Hello, my name is Bob Davies. I found your discussion about seaxes. I make them for re enactors and collectors mainly. Plain ones, inlaid ones, you can find them at www.vikingswords.net which is my site. I also make swords and silverware. Please have a look. Best wishes Bob.