Thread: Napoleonic? Sword help identify. Marks with

Napoleonic? Sword help identify. Marks with

I have been unable to identify this sword. Does anyone know about the marks? On one side there is a circle with a crown and the letter "R" underneath it; under this mark there is a cursive name that I can't quite make out. Looks something like "Wurgensthe"?? On the other side there is a cartouche with a star and the letter "B" inside it. There is another cursive phrase under this that I can't make out. I have very limited knowledge in the area of swords and was hoping someone on this forum might be able to help me out.
    Attached Images Attached Images      

J Knight: The script reads "Klingent(h)al" which is in Alsatia, and famous for making French and export blades. You have what appears to be an Epee from the era of Napoleon I...

Dale

Dale,
    I didn't expect a reply so quickly. Thank you so much for the information. I never thought I would be able to find out what the script said. Thank you!!!

Lightbulb

J; I moderate a French Gun Forum, so I had to learn to read this sort of script! See the attached chart for some idea of "Les lettres cursiv Francais"

I do not know exactly which "Modele" this Epee is, you might have to wait for the real experts here to chime in!!

Dale
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Dale Martin; 03-16-2013 at 10:14 PM.

Good morning J.
    Sword made at Klingenthal by Coulaux under private contract.
    Stamp " B in a shield under a star " belongs to director Balaran and in use around 1834.
    Stamp " B under a crown " is used by an unknown inspecteur in the time frame 1820-1838.
    I have never seen such a decorated sword on the model "épée à la française", itself a variation of "épée à la suédoise".
    The "N" appearing on the cross bar cannot then be neither 1st Empire nor 2nd Empire (1852-1870).
    Other colleagues may chime in to shed a new light.
    Best
    Dan

Thank you

Quote Originally Posted by DanR View Post
    Good morning J.
    Sword made at Klingenthal by Coulaux under private contract.
    Stamp " B in a shield under a star " belongs to director Balaran and in use around 1834.
    Stamp " B under a crown " is used by an unknown inspecteur in the time frame 1820-1838.
    I have never seen such a decorated sword on the model "épée à la française", itself a variation of "épée à la suédoise".
    The "N" appearing on the cross bar cannot then be neither 1st Empire nor 2nd Empire (1852-1870).
    Other colleagues may chime in to shed a new light.
    Best
    Dan
    Thank you so much for the information. I cannot seem to get decent photos of the cursive marking that may indicate the date as it is directly under the curved hilt. This information is wonderful and is more than I had dreamed of. Thanks again all!

They didn't typically indicate date of manufacture on these swords. The cursive text reads "Coulaux" on one side and "Klingenthal" on the other.

france alsace not too far from Klingenthal

Klingenthal and Coulaux marks

HI

You will find with these links the detailed marks and their corresponding periods

they are 2 kinds of marks, one for the " state marked blades Klingenthal"

http://www.klingenthal.fr/marquages_etat.htm
    The second for the " commercial marked blades Coulaux"

http://www.klingenthal.fr/marquages_coulaux.htm

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Cain View Post
    They didn't typically indicate date of manufacture on these swords. The cursive text reads "Coulaux" on one side and "Klingenthal" on the other.