Thread: An even Better Master Sword than Jerry's (not really)

Wink An even Better Master Sword than Jerry's (not really)

First, let me apologise for the fact that this is definitely not a better functional sword than Jerry Bennet made, but there are a number of things about it that are better regardless of it's un-functionality:

http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c2...asterSword.jpg

Top five reasons why my Master Sword is better than Jerry's:

1. It only took me and my 5-year old son about 20 minutes to make it together.
    2. The total cost of materials involved = only $1.00.
    3. My son can sleep with his sword and not wake up missing a body part.
    4. Total weight: about 4 ounces (beat that Gus!).
    5. It's so ugly nobody will ever want to buy it and force my kid to be without his sword.

http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c2...asterSword.jpg

I just had to share my son's enthusiasm with a group of guys (and gals) who can understand a father's pride when his son wants to whack away at inanimate bad-guys with sword and shield.

Incidentally I made a smaller sword and shield for my daughter who's three and she's more inseparable from them than my son is from his. She calls them her "Deku Sword" and "Deku Shield" (pronounced "DE' TOO SOAD" and "DE' TOO SEEWD".

http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c2...Mateasword.jpg

Yeah, we're all Zelda Nuts.

Hopefully this tongue-in-cheek post isn't completely out of place on the Cafe... Mod's please move it if you tink it's out of place...

Cheers,

Will S.
    "Dontopedology is the Science of opening your mouth and putting your foot in it. I've been practicing it for years."
    -- Prince Philip

"Remember, if the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy."
    -- Red Green

Hehehe!

so cool! I have two little boys who would LOVE to have a couple of those.

I would love to have the instructions on how to make one, if you have the time.

Isn't it so much fun passing on your love of the Zelda series to the next generation? Great pictures!

~Katie
    ~Get a life? I'm a gamer! I have lots of lives!~
    ~~~
    If you're wondering how he eats and breathes and other science facts,
    just repeat to yourself "it's just a show, I should really just relax"
    ~*~

It's pretty easy, actually.

1. Just roughly cut out the shape of the sword (including the guard) out of the infamous blue camp mat, do this twice. Cut the handle shape out wide enough to wrap 1/2 around the dowel (step 2).
    2. Then cut off a hardwood dowel (I would try to use a length of small PVC, or something, since my kid has broken the dowel already) about 1" short of the blade tip and handle pommel on either end (so 2" shorter than the full length of the sword).
    3. Lay everything on a piece of cardboard, and either spray one side (all sides of the dowel)with spray contact cement, or paint with standard contact cement (stronger).
    4. once the glue is tacky, just press the pieces together with the dowel in the middle.
    5. Get your trusty electrician's tape (or navy blue duct tape for a more authentic look), and wrap the handle, then wrap the blade in standard silver-gray duct tape. I placed the blade tape along the length of the blade, since wrapping tends to cause the blade to corkscrew on you.
    6. Add triforce, hilt details, etc. with a sharpie marker, and you're on your way.

The most common enemy in our house is the like-like. We find them everywhere. They are way more common than in the game. Every rolled up carpet, chunk of foam, or towel is a like-like. Which is pretty scary because out of all of the bad-guys in Zelda, like-like's freak me out the most.

Oh and make no mistake, it was my son who introduced Zelda to me. He got the N64 and games from an uncle for Christmas, and I played constantly for about a month and a half. Now my son can work his way through everything in about three days, if we let him play that long.

Good luck Katie.

Will
    "Dontopedology is the Science of opening your mouth and putting your foot in it. I've been practicing it for years."
    -- Prince Philip

"Remember, if the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy."
    -- Red Green

Hahahahahaha! That was a surprise.

Because every Hero needs a sword.
    That's awsome
    Barnyard bladesmith, burnt in the front, and frozen in the rear. Comic book metallurgist, too dumb to know that I can't do that.
    "I don't believe in the no-win scenario".. Captain Kirk.

It's good to be skilled, but better to be talented.
    It's good to be talented, but better to be gifted.
    It's good to be gifted, but best of all to be determined. - Me

"The precise balance of brains and balls, will ALWAYS trump those who have too much of one, and not enough of the other". - me

Hey Will,

Is your son a lefty, or does he just do that 'cause Link's a lefty?

My friend's son is a righty, but fights lefty because of Link.

If your family is nuts for Zelda, does that make them "Deku" Nuts?

Katie,

You can use neoprene pipe insulation found at your local big-box hardware store. If you don't mind springing for it C-PVC is better than regular. It's got a bit more flex and is sturdier than the regular PVC.

Ad the big-box usually has multiple colors of duct tape too. Good for all the hilt stuff...

Quote Originally Posted by Adam S. View Post
    Hey Will,

Is your son a lefty, or does he just do that 'cause Link's a lefty?

My friend's son is a righty, but fights lefty because of Link.

If your family is nuts for Zelda, does that make them "Deku" Nuts?

Katie,

You can use neoprene pipe insulation found at your local big-box hardware store. If you don't mind springing for it C-PVC is better than regular. It's got a bit more flex and is sturdier than the regular PVC.

Ad the big-box usually has multiple colors of duct tape too. Good for all the hilt stuff...
    Good advice on the CPVC. My son has since broken the dowelling in all swords (Master, Kokiri and Biggoron), and I will be re-making some more with CPVC this week.

My son originally held the sword in his left because of link, but has since discovered he prefers to swing his sword with his right hand and hold his shield with his left.

He continually wants to fight with me, so I am building myself a CPVC long-sword so I can get a little practice time in. Is it just me, or are children inherently dangerous with a sword? I mean, taking the range factor out of the equation, His swings start and end in very unusual, un-predictable ways. Needless to say I have "lost" a leg or part of my sword arm several dozen times during our 'bouts" because what in all earnest looks like an upper body shot takes a weird dive below my guard wayyy too often. Of course the fact that the weapons weigh less than 1/2 pound might make some impossible movementsfor a real weapon possible for a five-year old. Maybe I just need more sparring time...

If any one is interested, I can document the construction process of the new CPVC swords... It's pretty simple really, but I don't mind taking a few pictures...

Cheers,

Will.
    -- Prince Philip

-- Red Green

A side note about the CPVC: Since it's made for High-pressure water systems and such. That means you can get end caps for it, something I highly recommend. Just makes things safer. Also, if you decide to do any splicing there is a two part CPVC glue that you'll want to pick up.

When my friend and I make these we leave about three to four inches of the blade "unboned". Makes it safer for thrusting.

Have fun, and watch out for groin shots, they're head hight for the shorter warrior.

Quote Originally Posted by Will S. View Post
    Good advice on the CPVC. My son has since broken the dowelling in all swords (Master, Kokiri and Biggoron), and I will be re-making some more with CPVC this week.

My son originally held the sword in his left because of link, but has since discovered he prefers to swing his sword with his right hand and hold his shield with his left.

He continually wants to fight with me, so I am building myself a CPVC long-sword so I can get a little practice time in. Is it just me, or are children inherently dangerous with a sword? I mean, taking the range factor out of the equation, His swings start and end in very unusual, un-predictable ways. Needless to say I have "lost" a leg or part of my sword arm several dozen times during our 'bouts" because what in all earnest looks like an upper body shot takes a weird dive below my guard wayyy too often. Of course the fact that the weapons weigh less than 1/2 pound might make some impossible movementsfor a real weapon possible for a five-year old. Maybe I just need more sparring time...

If any one is interested, I can document the construction process of the new CPVC swords... It's pretty simple really, but I don't mind taking a few pictures...

Cheers,

Will.

I would like to point out that The Master Sword is a dominant reason why I am making myself learn sword and shield technique. I plan to show up to the local anime/sci-fi/fantasy con with the gear and the skills to beat Gannon, if I find him.

Quote Originally Posted by Stuart Ferguson View Post
    I would like to point out that The Master Sword is a dominant reason why I am making myself learn sword and shield technique. I plan to show up to the local anime/sci-fi/fantasy con with the gear and the skills to beat Gannon, if I find him.
    Remember: Tuck+Roll, yell Hay-Yaa!, and always, ALWAYS bring a big hammer!

BAMN!

Quote Originally Posted by Will S. View Post

Cheers,

Will.
    Lol, sounds like you have a little aspiring blademaster on your hands there!! :P That is really cute!! God, I can't wait until I'm a father when I am able to support a family!! Yeah, I'm a huge Zelda fan, too!! I have always wanted a Master Sword and Hylian shield! I am hoping to make one--SOMEDAY :P I actually am left-handed and I have had people tell me I look like Link multiple times before, loL!