Thread: Kukri from flea market

Kukri from flea market

Hi,

Can you tell me how old this Kukri is? I don't know much about these weapons.

Length is 40 cm.

Thank you very much in advance.

Peter
    Attached Images Attached Images      

nice kukri Peter.

Difficult to accurately date these, certainly looks ww1 -ww2 era or earlier to me. Im sure some of the more knowledgable collectors will be along soon to give a better answer.

interesting scabbard. nice piece.

Southern Germany, squeezed between black forest and Swabian Alps

Interesting spine

N'abend Peter!
    Nice Catch - especially for a flea market piece - those flea markets I hang out only feature black horn handled tourist kukris with malformed lion heads .

My take on it:
    - it is an authentique civillian kukri, traditional scabbard and most likely made for local use (not actually meant for export)
    - the deep spine grooves seem to vanish arround WW2 and are replaced by the "scratched in" lines that form the spine decorations of civilian kukris after WW2.
    - the scabbard looks as if it never had "buttons" attached to the leather strap to hold it in the belt - so that points to "arround WW2" or later as well.
    - The very round spine is something unusual and seems to be influenced either by older designs or the MKII.
    - the section from shoulder to tip reminds me a bit of the MKV that came into service during the early 1960s.
    - The slight angle in the handle gives it an "old school" look as well.
    - The handle of the side knives seem to be made from a different wood - so some chance that these are replacements.

The features are quite contradicting - showing pre-WW2 and WW2/post WW2 characteristics.

So my guess (an really isn't more) is: workhorse kukri 1940 to 1965 .... with both dates not to be taken as "carved in stone".

Any chance you could get us some picture of the side knives - those might help as well. Also some info on weight, handle length and blade length would be great.

again - neat authentique catch !

Andreas
    As lo, the boy looked upon the beauty of the forward curved blade, and beauty stayed his hands
    and from that day forward, he was financially doomed.

King Kukri, 2005

Hello Chaps,

Id Agree its shape, features & style strikes me as probably ww2 or 50s era kukri {give or take 10 years.], probably made for native Civilians, although who actualy purchased it is anyones guess.

Nice find Peter!

Spiral