Thread: New eBay rules for UK weapons buyers

New eBay rules for UK weapons buyers

Apparently eBay has set new rules for "dangerous weapons" purchasers in the UK. The new rules may be more widespread, I don't know.

But here is what happened.

Three friends bidding eBay UK had last-minute bids rejected by eBay causing them to miss some good items. One was an antique ax, don't know the others.

Instead of getting a confirmation on their bids, they got a message from eBay that they needed to register a credit card with eBay to prove they were over 18.

Antique khuks certainly fall in the "dangerous weapons" category, so it would be a good idea to check this out further.

I am not certain of the procedure, but will let you know more.

Just wanted to get this post out. Buyers and Sellers alike should know about this. If you are a Seller, it would be good to place a notice in your auction ad.

The policy applies to buyers, wherever located (including the US), who are bidding on "weapons" (including kukris) being auctioned by sellers in the UK. In fact, the bidder is required to open a seller's account and register a credit card with eBay. I spent over an hour today in two very unsatisfactory text message exchanges with representatives of eBay. Suffice to say, I will not be purchasing any eBay offerings from UK sellers from here on out. Others are welcome to them, as long as they are willing to give their credit card information to eBay. Best of luck.

Can't even bid on anything (non-knife) made by "Wilkinson Sword".
    Or a rotary cutter if it happens to be listed as having a spare blade!

As for the braindead automatons ebay calls customer service, support or whatever....

And guess what any purchases I've made on ebay via paypal are paid with.... yes, a credit card.
    But now that one won't, it seems, suffice as proof of age -- although the paypal account is linked to the ebay account!

(please imagine a tirade of exceedingly rude comments about ebay in this line)
    Last edited by Cliff M.; 09-29-2008 at 09:32 PM. Reason: addition

As for the braindead automatons ebay calls customer service, support or whatever....

And guess what any purchases I've made on ebay via paypal are paid with.... yes, a credit card.
    But now that one won't, it seems, suffice as proof of age -- although the paypal account is linked to the ebay account!
    Exactly so! I actually saved a screen shot of my last exchange with the cheerily android-like eBay rep, because I feared no one would believe me. Arrogant imbeciles!!!

I just made a test bid on a UK sword. It was accapted though there was a message that it was a "dangerous weapon."

I do have a credit card registered with eBay. I sold a DVR a few weeks ago and they required a credit card. I am also a "verified member."

I am sure that eBay's newfound solicitude for compliance with UK law regarding "dangerous weapons", and the means they have chosen to "assure compliance", had nothing whatsoever to do with the solicitation which appeared in my email this morning:

To think otherwise would be the height of cynicism.

Southern Germany, squeezed between black forest and Swabian Alps

That is annoying

Hi Gentlemen.
    I haven't tried yet to buy from Ebay in the UK (inside the EU) so as soon as I do I'll let you know if that "dangerous weapon rule" is reason enough for ebay to have a credit card registered directly with my account (as if paypal wasn't enough).

But I think that berkley isn't far off when suspecting that with their own ebay master card they turn the "UK ebay rule" into a business case .

As I think this is of some importance to the whole community and not only to the kukri enthusiasts I'll move it to the legal forum, where arms laws are dicsussed, so this can get some broader attention.

Thanks again for pointing out this "important ebay change due to UK arms laws" .

Andreas
    As lo, the boy looked upon the beauty of the forward curved blade, and beauty stayed his hands
    and from that day forward, he was financially doomed.

King Kukri, 2005

And an Iaito is supposed to be "Safe"

http://forums.swordforum.com/showthread.php?t=92038
    Cryf oedd calon hn y glas glogwyni,
    Cryfach oedd ei ebill ef a'i ddr,
    Chwyddodd gyfoeth gŵr yr aur a'r faenol,
    O'i enillion prin a'i amal gr.

i'm the one who lost the axe, the seller lost the 25% more that i would have paid had my bid gone thru. seems like restraint of trade, attempted identity piracy, credit card fraud, why should we be forced to give up private details and credit card info - a credit card is not legal proof of age anyway, tho ebay won't accept any legit ID, seems a scam to me. will those who were forced to register as sellers and do a direct debit mandate see their bank account being charged for illicit 'fees'? i would be happy to send a cc. of my drivers license to the seller as proof i am over 18 (i'm 61 by the way) but leery of giving it or any bank related data to a phisher even if he's an ebay insider...

we need a reporter who hates ebay and isn't afraid to write about their tactics which look very illegal to me.
    Last edited by W. Kroncke; 10-01-2008 at 01:07 PM.
    CAVE CANEM RADIX LECTI ET SEMPER PARATUS
    Dic, hospes Spartae nos te hic vidisse iacentes,
    Dum sanctis patriae legibus obsequimur

If you think you're a person of some influence,
    try orderin' someone else's dog around.

Also for UK based buyers ???

Hi W.
    Now you got me confused. as you are located in the UK i thought it was "business as usual" as to my understanding only "Non UK based" buyers need to "verify via Credit card" ...

Or did I get something wrong (which is likely the case)

Andreas
    As lo, the boy looked upon the beauty of the forward curved blade, and beauty stayed his hands

King Kukri, 2005

see post no. 2 , andreas, anyone from no matter what location bidding on a UK located item they think is a weapon is required to give them your credit card details.
    CAVE CANEM RADIX LECTI ET SEMPER PARATUS
    Dic, hospes Spartae nos te hic vidisse iacentes,
    Dum sanctis patriae legibus obsequimur

If you think you're a person of some influence,
    try orderin' someone else's dog around.

Ouch ....

Hi W.
    Thanks for the clarification. This is quite saddening and i translate this rule as: "we actually don't want these items to be sold via ebay.co.uk, so we make it as difficult as possible" - which is a pity, as they have some neat kukris from time to time .

edited to add: Maybe if the seller clearly identifies them as "antique" (100 years+) or at least pre-1954 a blade might be recognized as an "historic item" and not as a "dangerous weapon"?
    It would depend if ebay is willing to change the rule such a way.

regards

Andreas
    Last edited by Andreas Volk; 10-02-2008 at 06:33 AM. Reason: antique stuff added

King Kukri, 2005

Hi guys,

While I sympathise with your position and agree with your complaints, SFI is not a platform for ebay problems. ebay has its own forums for this sort of discussion.

Thanks, Dan! Just sharing an observation for all those concerned:

The UK laws have unfortunately become increasingly hostile towards edged weapons and anything that can pass for a realistic-looking firearm, such that even imitations/replicas have become targeted.

eBay appears to be simply complying with UK laws the best they can.

Credit cards generally prove you're at least 18. There are, of course, exceptions where the parents co-sign for the bill for a minor. Under those circumstances, the credit card companies can still determine age. This is the only way of obtaining truthful age with online ordering because liability would be upon retailers who sell to minors.
    Adrian
    Maestro of the Bolognese School (Spaghetti sauce, not fencing!)

Click HERE for the SFI comic strip "Bloodgroove"!