Thread: Howard Clark is accepting orders again

Howard Clark is accepting orders again

Just a heads up for you all.

If you are looking for a real Japanese Styled sword that will last many years to come, this is a great opportunity to get one. You'll need a togi after Howard is done with it, but his queue opening up is not something that happens often.

check it out at www.mvforge.com
    Last edited by Jeff Ellis; 09-30-2008 at 07:26 PM.
    I like swords.

If you want to climb a mountain, begin at the top.

"Integrity, justice, courage, and action - without these, a person is of no consequence." - Don Nelson

learn the way to preserve rather than destroy.
    avoid rather than check, check rather than hurt, hurt rather than maim, maim rather than kill.
    for all life is precious, not one can be replaced.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Ellis View Post
    www.mvforge.com

If you are looking for a real sword, this is a great opportunity to get one. You'll need a togi after Howard is done with it, but this is not something that happens often.
    Thanks for the heads up Jeff. Do we get preferential treatment, or pushed to the back of the que if we mention your name? Are you going to book polishers and mounters as well, or are you just managing Howard these days?

Cheers

Hotspur; lately, not quite sure where you are coming from

Quote Originally Posted by Glen C. View Post
    Thanks for the heads up Jeff. Do we get preferential treatment, or pushed to the back of the que if we mention your name? Are you going to book polishers and mounters as well, or are you just managing Howard these days?

Cheers

Just giving a friendly heads up, that's all. I thought there may be people that were interested in a blade from Howard and may not have known what was going on.

Not sure what you're getting at lately, either
    Last edited by Jeff Ellis; 09-30-2008 at 07:26 PM.
    I like swords.

"Integrity, justice, courage, and action - without these, a person is of no consequence." - Don Nelson

avoid rather than check, check rather than hurt, hurt rather than maim, maim rather than kill.

Jeff,

Nice thanks for the heads up. Had not heard yet that he had opened up his queue. Now to scrounge for some cash and get that tanto. That I've been wanting.

V
    Vi Nguyen
    Kenkonkai Dojo
    www.kenkonkai.com

Blog Entries

Cheers

I see your point there Glen, but if a guy like me were to say "hey I'm really past good and ready for more orders and have most of 09' free for commissions", does that sound better than to maybe read a nice post from a fan? The fact is the economy is so crappy that new orders are hard to come by and a nice heads up might do some of us smith's a solid. Some of us could use the plug as a matter of fact, maybe even Mr. Clark!
    "Ah, the old disco room.......just as I left it!" Cassanova Frankenstein

"It's all about having a good time!" Ricky Martin

"We are number one....all others are number two or lower!" The Sphinx

"Let me put my poems in you!" Chazz Micheal Micheals

www.odinblades.com

I wonder if custom smiths and polishers might consider lowering their fees now in order to accommodate the economic realities affecting so many people.... I know it's unlikely since the smiths have mouths to feed too, including their own. And we all know that they deserve just and fair compensation for their services.... but if some of those asking fees were "high" before for a lot of people, they are even further out of reach now. I'm not at all saying "high" as in "unfair", since "you get what you pay for"... but I just don't know what would help the situation. I think we can all agree it's tough times for this industry, both for makers and collectors alike.
    REAL Star Wars fans HATE Star Wars (and Lucas)... but LOVE the idea.

Quote Originally Posted by John Lundemo View Post
    I see your point there Glen, but if a guy like me were to say "hey I'm really past good and ready for more orders and have most of 09' free for commissions", does that sound better than to maybe read a nice post from a fan? The fact is the economy is so crappy that new orders are hard to come by and a nice heads up might do some of us smith's a solid. Some of us could use the plug as a matter of fact, maybe even Mr. Clark!

Thank you for sharing your point of view, as one who actually does this work professionally--rather than someone who helps manages a message board on a volunteer basis. You brought up some good points that are worth considering by all.

Quote Originally Posted by John Lundemo View Post
    Hi John,

There is a big difference between a smith/maker making an announcement for himself in a stand alone thread and anyone jumping someone making an inquiry with an offer. There is also a difference between what you read in Jeff's posts as they stand now and how they read before he edited them.

I don't think there was any simple coincidence that Jeff initiated this thread (and his initial post worded somewhat differently) while Rich Chen was undertaking his thread in sharing his work process. In a sense, you are reading the chain of events a bit out of sequence and context.

Cheers

Glen

P.S.
    Anyone with concern or regard about my thoughts is free to inquire off the board as to actual circumstances. Actually, anyone that knows me and Jeff well probably shouldn't need to.

Hi John,

There is a big difference between a smith/maker making an announcement for himself in a stand alone thread and anyone jumping someone making an inquiry with an offer. There is also a difference between what you read in Jeff's posts as they stand now and how they read before he edited them.

I don't think there was any simple coincidence that Jeff initiated this thread (and his initial post worded somewhat differently) while Rich Chen was undertaking his thread in sharing his work process. In a sense, you are reading the chain of events a bit out of sequence and context.

Cheers

Glen

P.S.
    Anyone with concern or regard about my thoughts is free to inquire off the board as to actual circumstances. Actually, anyone that knows me and Jeff well probably shouldn't need to.
    Actually, I posted this with no regard for Rich's thread.

Howard's queue opened up, I noticed it had been open for a few days, so I thought it might be nice to let people know.

I didn't do it with any malice towards Rich's thread, and I'm not sure why you are suddenly thinking I'm purposely doing things.

As it stood prior to the edit, it was still a heads up on something that doesn't happen often.
    I like swords.

Actually, I posted this with no regard for Rich's thread.

Howard's queue opened up, I noticed it had been open for a few days, so I thought it might be nice to let people know.

I didn't do it with any malice towards Rich's thread, and I'm not sure why you are suddenly thinking I'm purposely doing things.

As it stood prior to the edit, it was still a heads up on something that doesn't happen often.
    So I'm not editing.
    Every other time Howard's queue has opened, someone has made a post, I hadn't seen one, so I did it.
    I like swords.

it's just not worth the bother anymore....
    and my comments were most likely taken out of context....
    cheers
    Last edited by Karl J; 10-08-2008 at 11:15 PM.
    www.karljunitz.com
    Have a look around.....

Quote Originally Posted by Karl J View Post
    it's just not worth the bother anymore....
    and my comments were most likely taken out of context....
    cheers
    Karl,
    It's always worth the bother, and the makers perspective is something that's on the low level here lately. It's totally understandable that with the current economy, the buyers can't afford full on customs as often as they used to, and that the makers need to keep their prices where they were for the time being.
    I like swords.

Karl,
    It's always worth the bother, and the makers perspective is something that's on the low level here lately. It's totally understandable that with the current economy, the buyers can't afford full on customs as often as they used to, and that the makers need to keep their prices where they were for the time being.
    You obviously know best Jeff

Karl,
    Hmmm. It would be hard pressed for a maker to keep their prices at a certain level that you would deem comporable for the market just because the market is bad. The sad fact is that if the prices for steel, materials, and propane continue to rise, so will the smith's prices plain and simple.

I had to adjust my spending somewhat, but I'm still collecting. I'm still sending stuff out. I pay what I am quoted. And why would a custom maker's perspective be on the low level because of the economy? People buy what they like. I used to get hot and bothered over people getting production peices and the like, but in the end, it doesn't matter. You got the scratch, get it.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Lim View Post
    Hmmm. It would be hard pressed for a maker to keep their prices at a certain level that you would deem comporable for the market just because the market is bad. The sad fact is that if the prices for steel, materials, and propane continue to rise, so will the smith's prices plain and simple.

I had to adjust my spending somewhat, but I'm still collecting. I'm still sending stuff out. I pay what I am quoted. And why would a custom maker's perspective be on the low level because of the economy? People buy what they like. I used to get hot and bothered over people getting production peices and the like, but in the end, it doesn't matter. You got the scratch, get it.

Exactly, if you want somehting bad enough, you will get the money to get it.
    I like swords.

Yulan, NY, yes I know you have never heard of it:D
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Lim View Post
    You got the scratch, get it.
    Damn Tom, that line is awesome, well said.
    I dunno. Iron is sort-of the Paris Hilton of metals, and carbon, nickel, chromium silicon, etc. are a bunch of good looking guys she just met at a party. - Al Massey

I just started a cool new job - if the queue is still open after another two pay cycles I'd love to put in for a daisho. Maybe even a three piece set.

I rarely post nowadays due to the workload that comes with trying to get a company off the ground.

Howard Clark was one of our Honorary Educational Advisors during the early days of SFI. I have two blades made by Howard (never could afford to get them polished and mounted, but perhaps that will change in a year or two). As always, I strongly urge people to consider investing in the work of North American smiths. The stuff coming out of China can be nice. Sometimes it's difficult to tell whether they are semi-production or custom.

For every time Howard's work was put down for his not being Japanese, Howard has improved by leaps and bounds to the point his work is just absolutely breathtaking - and I do believe has the nuances of the old blades, especially if polished to bring out its full aesthetic potential.

Howard references Ted Tenold as one of his polishers. I've seen a Bob Engnath 1050 steel tanto polished by Ted. I had no idea Bob's work could look so beautiful. It had very good presence and refinement of its surfaces and lines. Moreover, these men improve with time and aren't trying to meet a quota.

Those who haven't studied the originals might find it eaiser to admire the flashier mass production stuff. There is honestly more artistry that goes into the North American stuff.

Keith Larman's work speaks for itself. I've seen his work get better and better each year.

Naturally there are many other accomplished smiths who work on Japanese-style blades. They each deserve individual mention.
    Adrian
    Maestro of the Bolognese School (Spaghetti sauce, not fencing!)

Click HERE for the SFI comic strip "Bloodgroove"!

19. Adrian,
    How are you my friend?
    VERY long time no talk.... but Its good to see you are still around!
    I, Too, dont get over to the ol SFI as much as I used to, but i just pop in when I can....... and I ran accross this thread.
    Now admitably, its been a while since I have been a regular..... but this thread REALLY confuses me?
    Why is a moderator attacking Jeff? or ... did something else happen?
    the first part of this thread is just........ confusing...

Quote Originally Posted by David Stokes View Post
    Adrian,
    How are you my friend?
    VERY long time no talk.... but Its good to see you are still around!
    I, Too, dont get over to the ol SFI as much as I used to, but i just pop in when I can....... and I ran accross this thread.
    Now admitably, its been a while since I have been a regular..... but this thread REALLY confuses me?
    Why is a moderator attacking Jeff? or ... did something else happen?
    the first part of this thread is just........ confusing...

Very well, thank, young--er, old master Stokes. (Time flies!)

Jeff is a long timer. The moderator is a fine and outstanding individual who may be unfamiliar with Jeff's trademark passion and enthusiasm which often gets him into more trouble than he intends.

It's generally advised to play things safe as there are people in the industry that constantly try to exploit SFI for personal promotion and gain, and do so through proxies. In this case, I can personally vouch for Howard Clark to know that he wouldn't have retained anyone's services. Howard is one of the least self-promotional people I know, and he (as well as various others) live to a code of allowing their work to speak for themselves.

When the economy turns around and when I have enough saved up to get this shobu-zukuri that Howard handforged for me fully mounted, I'll be sure to photograph it. It's a rare beauty, with a Turkish twist damascus pattern, made by Daryl Meier.
    Adrian
    Maestro of the Bolognese School (Spaghetti sauce, not fencing!)

Click HERE for the SFI comic strip "Bloodgroove"!

Quote Originally Posted by Adrian Ko View Post

When the economy turns around and when I have enough saved up to get this shobu-zukuri that Howard handforged for me fully mounted, I'll be sure to photograph it. It's a rare beauty, with a Turkish twist damascus pattern, made by Daryl Meier.
    Please do!
    Bartender and Brewmeister for the Pub

Stranger in a Strange land