Thread: What's on your bench?

Yulan, NY, yes I know you have never heard of it:D

What's on your bench?

Been a bit slow here in the BS cafe, so what's on your bench?

Right now I am studying over and polishing up the sashimi knife I got from B, it is very interesting; AMAZINGLY slender in all proportions, it is indeed wrought and blade steel laminated, but only 2 pieces not san mai. That and the ever present pondering of swords.......
    I dunno. Iron is sort-of the Paris Hilton of metals, and carbon, nickel, chromium silicon, etc. are a bunch of good looking guys she just met at a party. - Al Massey

well, a pitchball and a bunch of small hammers and taganes and alot of very sharp metal scraping :O , maybe soon ill have a new bench if i manage to contact that guy whos supposed to make me a new one
    "Without mercy, man is like a beast. Men are created equal, everyone is entitled to happiness."

I'm re-hilting my 42" bladed angus trim practice rapier for what seems like the umpteenth time (Perfectionist! )

...and I'm unemployed, the welding trade is slow in the valley these days. That might also have something to do with it.
    Last edited by Mat Billings; 01-20-2009 at 08:52 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Sam Salvati View Post
    Been a bit slow here in the BS cafe, so what's on your bench?

Right now I am studying over and polishing up the sashimi knife I got from B, it is very interesting; AMAZINGLY slender in all proportions, it is indeed wrought and blade steel laminated, but only 2 pieces not san mai. That and the ever present pondering of swords.......
    I was wondering about the progress of Sammy’s sashimi’s I hope that sashimi aides you in your studies. At least I don’t have to worry about the dang thing cutting me anymore when I reach on top of my computer desk feeling around for a paperclip.

My bench holds that A2 hunting knife I was telling you about in the pm’s Sam.
    I also have a mild steel habaki in the vice just waiting to be finished and a pair of micarta slabs for making my first micarta tsuka out of.
    I just need a swift kick in the but from my friendly forumites for motivation! I could get started, take a lot of pics and post some new threads, gosh knows we need something to see and chat about here as of late.
    Consensus is the stuff of politics, not of science…A public that is not aware of this is vulnerable to abuse. (Paul Reiter, regarding the abuses of science perpetrated by the IPCC 4th Report, 2007)

-------------

“For as he thinketh in his heart, so is he...” (Proverbs 23:7).

i got 4 forge folded tactical tanto's on my bench waiting eagerly to be polished.
    "One who is samurai must before all things" Keep constantly in mind, by day and by night. the fact that he has to die...

-Dai Doji Yuzon-
    16th Century

http://sites.google.com/site/canadianliveblade/home

Whats on the bench eh?

Well aside from excessive amounts of clutter, various tools, and about an inch of grinder dust ... I have a 1075 blade that I differentially hardened with my first hamon waiting for the finish grinding, polishing and mounting. I have a damascus dagger from probably about a year ago sitting there waiting for fittings. Some other various rough forged blades... the 48" longsword is still hanging around too. And the thing that I am currently working on and devoting my time to is a damascus billet of some 1095 and 15N20, currently sitting at about 76 layers (theoretically), going for 304 when its done. I am also documenting the whole process in pictures and video, from start of the billet to finished blade/s to create a comprehensive pattern welding and blade making tutorial.

Anyway thats what I have been up to in the shop.

It seems like procrastination is a common phenomenom around the world! :O he he!
    "Without mercy, man is like a beast. Men are created equal, everyone is entitled to happiness."

Its not so much procrastination on my part, as a general excessive lack of time to spend in the shop . I shuffle around projects and the ones I am not as happy with or run into snags usually get thrown aside and something else gets started or picked back up again.

Like the 1075 blade for example. I was really looking forward to getting it finished, but when I went to weld up some of the cable I got at the scrap yard for the fittings, I discovered that its all zinc coated . So that meant I couldnt do the guard or spacer so it got set aside. I sat the 48" longsword aside because it picked up some warps durring HT that I havent felt like dealing with, and I was not quite pleased with the way the grind was going, plus it eats so much time and I have so little available right now that I reprioritized my projects to the smaller ones.

I wish all my projects on were on the back burner due to procrastination instead of just not having any time to work on them

hehehe i wasnt dissing you Graham!!! i was more refering to my own procrastinating... and perhaps, also refering to my own lack of time

Quote Originally Posted by Remy B View Post
    hehehe i wasnt dissing you Graham!!!
    I know . I was just commenting on my situation and how I wish procrastination was the reason I didnt get anything done, rather than wanting and trying to, but not getting anywhere due to time constraints

As for me, mostly old belt sander belts, lots of metal dust, way too many pairs of workgloves and the Katana i have been working on; now the tusba. as the the procrastination issue, i have my share of times when i put off a polish or heat treat. Though mostly my time is occupied by full time college. Oh well
    www.borrorarmoury.cjb.net
    "Never mess with a man who makes edged weapons for a living"

Heh... this list could go for pages easily... lots of tools, drills, mills, grinding and buffing tools, piles of metal dust at least an inch thick, etc... However, blades I am working on...

38" blade claymore, 54" total length
    48" longsword
    30" custom cutlass
    31" arming sword
    30" small sword
    28" Jian
    matching wavy edge cutlass blade and dagger
    30" Viking Sword
    Another 30" small sword

and several others that don't have buyers as of yet =)

After you dig down through the miscellaneous stuff, there's an O1 Fairbairn dagger roughed out, a basket hilt smallsword in mid stream, a wakizashi in mid-polish, a TEA nitrogen laser, and a stripline Marx generator.

The photos of the basket hilt are from my crummy phonecam.
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    "Where the spirit does not work with the hand, there is no art."
    Leonardo da Vinci

"A little science estranges men from God, but much science leads them back to Him."
    Louis Pasteur

Cleburne,Texas. Deep in a dank cave, forging blades and building armour
    Actually, my bench is still in pieces since my last move. I do have the frame of my shop back up again, though. Now that I have three day weekends again, I should have it back togather pretty soon. After that, I'll start on that seax for my mother again. It's about half finished right now and looking so sad sitting on my nightstand.
    Lo, There Do I See My Father
    Lo, There Do I See My Mother
    And My Sisters And My Brothers
    Lo, There Do I See The Line Of My People
    Back To The Beginning
    Lo, There Do They Call To Me
    And Beg Me To Take My Place
    In The Halls Of Valhalla
    Where The Brave May Live Forever

oooh let see

3 small axes intended for trowing still in rough cut

a yari-ish spear that need a hand guard

a quan dao made from a old saw blade thats two simple looking to leave alone

two more spears still traped in the steel and sharpie

but i did just finish my first set of arrows
    O====================ll=>>>>

this is spear
    he foils all animals plans to take over the world
    and helps me to eat them over roaring fire

Quote Originally Posted by Rev. C.G.Talley View Post
    Actually, my bench is still in pieces since my last move. I do have the frame of my shop back up again, though. Now that I have three day weekends again, I should have it back togather pretty soon. After that, I'll start on that seax for my mother again. It's about half finished right now and looking so sad sitting on my nightstand.
    Mother needs the seax, what more motivation do you need Sir?
    Consensus is the stuff of politics, not of science…A public that is not aware of this is vulnerable to abuse. (Paul Reiter, regarding the abuses of science perpetrated by the IPCC 4th Report, 2007)

-------------

“For as he thinketh in his heart, so is he...” (Proverbs 23:7).

Rev, welcome back!
    I dunno. Iron is sort-of the Paris Hilton of metals, and carbon, nickel, chromium silicon, etc. are a bunch of good looking guys she just met at a party. - Al Massey

I have... *counts* ...seven or eight swords in the works right now. Started on the latest one from scratch this week; it's still in the smithy waiting for me to define the exact shape. The rest are mostly half-finished or raw blades in need of serious grinding.

...I really need to get better at sticking with a single project. ^^
    "This doesn't look easy... but I bet it is!"
    -Homer Simpson.

Cleburne,Texas. Deep in a dank cave, forging blades and building armour
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam Salvati View Post
    Rev, welcome back!
    Thanks, Sam! I swear, it's been forever and a day since I've been able to come here!
    Lo, There Do I See My Father
    Lo, There Do I See My Mother
    And My Sisters And My Brothers
    Lo, There Do I See The Line Of My People
    Back To The Beginning
    Lo, There Do They Call To Me
    And Beg Me To Take My Place
    In The Halls Of Valhalla
    Where The Brave May Live Forever

I have a pile of blades heat treated now. Time to get busy on some handles! I have a half dozen tactical-ish blades in 5160 and D2. A tanto in 1065. A couple medieval small blades, a rondel dagger blade and a couple small bowies. I just finished grinding a cable damascus fighter today and have a billet for a 1000+ layer tanto about 1/3 done.

All these to be finished by the Central TX knife show march 13th.....yeah, right!

Hey rev, welcome back. I'm down in Katy now and hosting fairly regular hammer-ins. Shoot me an email sometime.
    Don Halter
    KragAxe Armoury
    Bryan, TX

I've got the following pieces on my work bench (besides parts for my ATV and snowmobiles, and the home improvement nic nac, dead spiders, etc.)

A piece I've had for waaaaay too long for another forumite here (hope he's okay with me posting this, he's seen these pictures already) I've progressed much beyond this point by now, in fact it should be done by the end of next week, but I'm currently about 600km north of it, so I can't take any pictures:

Plus a handle for another sword I've been working on mentally and in drawings for the past 30 years... A bit of a fantasy piece from a Comic book, but I've got to build it so I can move on to other things that might be lurking in my subconcious. I'm using a bare blade A-Trim for it so it shouldn't be totally fantasy...

I brought the piece of hickory to work with me to have something to do in the evenings, unfortunately I don't have any sandpaper along so it's kind of rough...

Here they are:
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    "Dontopedology is the Science of opening your mouth and putting your foot in it. I've been practicing it for years."
    -- Prince Philip

"Remember, if the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy."
    -- Red Green

I have my two latest tantos that I'm polishing the horimona and the fullers. But it's going slow and I'm trying to come up with a design for a tsuba.

I bump again! It has been too slow over here. WHAT IS ON YOUR BENCH?

My hammer and setup has pretty much taken most of my time lately.

http://www.venierdesign.com/Venier_Design_Inc./Welcome.html
    Let's see....
    I have two katana and a yari ready for heat treat, A tanto that needs it's mount finished up, A tanto with the nicest hamon I've done so far that I should put up for sale, I'm converting my logsplitter into a forging press so I can start doing something with the 16 or so pounds of "Tamahagane"(or gaijinhagane if you will) we smelted at the fire and brimstone hammerin in March, I'm also building a new welding forge using a burner from a oil furnace to work said tamahagane, and the wife says I need to paint the house! Man!! What am I doing on the internet???

Tsukamaki is on the program - I have to finish this wakizashi at last...

Best regards

Andi B.