Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Hawkes & Co. & general retailers question !

Looks like ER and would be a blade maker at Wilkinsons. Past older posts mention a list of Wilkinson employee names, one should match up.

Quote Originally Posted by David R View Post
    The hex slug is generally accepted as better than standard quality...
    The following is from the wilkinson sword characteristics sticky thread (page 6) though I'm not sure whether Robert's post referred to trade blades, private purchase blades or both. In any event I have a hex proof slug from 1892. Correction: no, I don't. After checking the sword I was thinking about it does not have a hexagonal proof slug.

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Wilkinson-Latham View Post
    I have a note of my late Father that states that the hexagonal proof disk was used from 1905 for 'Best' swords only.

(It may have been used earlier but I will check this out)
    Last edited by james.elstob; 07-12-2019 at 03:54 PM. Reason: Correction

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Bevan View Post
    David, I disagree, what is your evidence for that statement? The vast majority of the best makers marks are circular, eg. Mole, Pillin, Thurkle, Wilkinson, Gaunt, Reeves, etc, etc.
    Originally Posted by Robert Wilkinson-Latham View Post
    I have a note of my late Father that states that the hexagonal proof disk was used from 1905 for 'Best' swords only.

(It may have been used earlier but I will check this out)

Good enough for you?

From the swords I've seen, all Wilkinson officer swords are "best swords". Sergt. swords and trade blades having different discs or none. I wonder if the hexagon shaped disc was introduced with the 1892p blade? I did not know the hexagon discs were as early as 1892. Of course "best sword" was used in Wilkinsons marketing to officers. It seems for earlier swords such as my 1865 cavalry sword, Wilkinson used their own proved disc with HW on a Hawkes sword though I have not seen others this early to verify this as being a constant.

The hexagonal slug was only used by Wilkinson on their extra quality (more detailed etching and tougher proof test) blades after about 1900 (or perhaps 1905, as Robert said). Other Wilkinson blades continued to have the normal round slug. The crown slug instead of HW indicates Wilkinson manufacturing for a trade reseller.

I have one of these Hex's, arrived in a shabby condition, but even so no sign of etching.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12