Thread: UK Sword ban

UK Sword ban

not sure if this is in the right place however i have some news regaurding the sword ban in the united kingdom.

i am from the uk myself and found this VERY useful.

im not 100% possitive of this yet however for what i can gather the uk sword ban only applied to replica samuri swords.

a way around this is to joing the british kendo association.

the costs for the membership are on the site ill post a link at the bottom. you need to download the membership form (which is pdf) and complete it, then find your local dojo (long list on the website too, its where i found mine) take the form and ask the master there to counter sign it. write a cheque and post it to BKA.

if anyone can verify this 100% please do post because i've tried uk law sites and all sorts even as far as ringing all the local police stations and writing some letters out to higher organisations.

anyway. this is useful for people who already own curved swords over 50cm without proof of purchase (if the police find them they are allowed to ask to see proof of purchase)/if you study kendo but arent currently a member of the BKA or intend to buy one. i personaly would encourage people who join the BKA to take up kendo. its a lovely study and the dicipline is unrivaled. anyway, comments and thoughts, or questions feel free to ask.

BKA hope page link - www.kendo.org.uk
    BKA dojo list page link - http://www.kendo.org.uk/pmwiki.php/Main/England (please note this is only england not including london please select your country or london from the "clubs" menu of the left side)
    BKA membership fee page link - http://www.kendo.org.uk/pmwiki.php/Main/MembershipFees

(and incase you dont have adobe) adobe.com
    if you wanted to be a carpenter, you wouldnt buy wallpaper, so if you want to be a swordsman BUY A SWORD.

nah its a fun saying but if you want to learn, buy a boken to practice with or join a kendo club or something.

my name is hyourinmaru. or at least i'd like it to be

Thanks for the links and you might find some of the threads from the past useful which have been ongoing in the Legal Issues subforum. Don't forget to elect older threads at the bottom of the subforum index, otherwise it might appear quite empty.

http://forums.swordforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=124

Of 324 threads begun there in that subforum. a good number regard UK law and several are prominent in scope from the more recent past.

Cheers

Hotspur; it is possibly new news for some but the discussion about the legislation goes back a couple of years and more
    Last edited by Glen C.; 04-13-2009 at 07:13 PM.

Hi there,

Bit of old news there im afraid!! The good news is that an ammendment went though that now allows you to have sharp curved swords over 50cm in length, as long as they are "traditionally made". Now this is a very loose term and has pretty much reopened up the market.

hmm so the new question is how loose is the term. clarendon imports and swordmart both sell "handforged" (or what they claim as hand forged) swords, that are all sharpened. so would they be legal?
    if you wanted to be a carpenter, you wouldnt buy wallpaper, so if you want to be a swordsman BUY A SWORD.

nah its a fun saying but if you want to learn, buy a boken to practice with or join a kendo club or something.

Quote Originally Posted by c.marsh View Post
    hmm so the new question is how loose is the term. clarendon imports and swordmart both sell "handforged" (or what they claim as hand forged) swords, that are all sharpened. so would they be legal?
    English* law is set by precedent so really nobody is totally sure.

*None of this is UK law. There is no such thing. Its English and Welsh law.
    Full Member of The Dawn Duellists Society
    www.dawnduellists.co.uk

Instructor and Owner of Black Boar Swordsmanship School
    www.blackboarswordsmanship.co.uk

BFHS Certified Instructor

"Hating is easy, Loving takes true character" Hanoi Rocks

doesnt surprise me to be honest we need clarification

I would just be REALLY cautious with buying replica stuff from abroad, customs will eat you alive and it will take forever to prove its "hand forged".

Hey C,

I did a bit of research on this last year and what I found was, if you do want to have a sword then the two groups that were exempt were martial artists who's chosen discipline facilitated the use of swords and antiques collectors. For martial artists the relevant affiliation was necessary and the art needs or requires a samurai sword, the club has to have insurance also. I personally practice Aikido and we are allowed live blades. I bought a Cheness Kaze from a guy here in England in June last year, he took all the details necessary and I assume looked up our club and checked for insurance etc. I also spoke with the home office about it and they stated that as long as you can prove what you are using it for then there should be no issue. The latter point was due to the fact that I am having a sword customised by a kid who uses this forum and he live in Washington state so I was a bit anxious as to whether I could actually import my own blade rather than get it from a vendor. It seems that I can and when customs do seize it all I need are my club documents, insurance certificate and my licence then it's chop chop in the dojo with our nice new cutting stands and beach mats!!

Cheers
    Kris

Good stuff Kris, that should be useful when importing. But ilke I said earlier all "traditonally" made swords (edged,curved 50cm+) are now legal. So you don't need to be part of any club to buy these within the uk.

ok so where do we stand on two main points?

i live in england. buying a curved sword (one in after is 68 inche hand forged) and its sold in england. legal points here?

and having a blade imported customs can seize/hold but if you can proove its a live blade tradatitionaly made they cant keep it and destroy it. correct?

just trying to clean this up intgo the two simple sections for others.

Actually, I'll suggest again that you might want to read some of the threads in this section from the past couple of years.

Cheers

GC

Quote Originally Posted by Glen C. View Post

Actually, I'll suggest again that you might want to read some of the threads in this section from the past couple of years.

Cheers

GC
    i have read though the mass of threads and been confused by most hence why trying to make it clear. i'm pretty legal minded but the law changes so fast its hard to keep up and a fair amount seems outdated