Thread: Petron archery

Petron archery

does anybody know if these are anygood for a first bow? http://www.wighillparkguns.co.uk/pro...9&froogle=true

I've always wanted to own a longbow and this seems like a good price especially as it comes with all the accessories and arrows. I've seen other bows usually starting at about £160 on other websites, like the standard logbow here http://www.steveralphs.co.uk/web3.html

I'm seeing a lot of support behind Bickerstaffe bows, the re-enactment bows here also look good http://www.bickerstaffebows.co.uk/products.php?cat=1

question is are either of the more expensives bows worth the extra money, it doesnt look like they come with kit or arrows either.
    by the way I have no experience with a long bow or any bow really, not fired one since I was a kid but I am looking to start and it's only really longbows that seem to interest me.

If anybody knows of any good forums on this topic I could check out that would also be appreciated.

Thanks.

Paul.
    'There's a reason you separate military and the police. One fights the enemies of the state, the other serves and protects the people. When the military becomes both, then the enemies of the state tend to become the people.' - Commander William Adama.

ok

well it looks decent enough. I have No experience with that company however. My 2 cents though, if you CAN save up for a Steve Ralphs or Pip Bicherstaffe bow then do so. Here are my questions to you before I CAN answer further. How serious are you about pursuing archery? It can be both a quite expensive and rewarding pursuit. Are there any archery clubs nearby where you coud go and try out the equipment and poundage of bows before you commit to spending your hard earned cash? Alot of clubs I have observed in the UK are quite accepting of visitors and inquiries. I am not tryng to discourage you in the least I am simply trying to see if there is a place you can investigate and learn a bit more before you purchase. I would not trade the times archery has given me with my father when I was a tyke nor the hours it has given me with my son. Good luck and if there is ANYTHING more I can advise I will be glad to.
    E TAN, E EPI TAS

In the corner of my room somewhere in SoCali
    I agree with Mr. Holt, check into alocal archery club and try it out. Longbows and recurves shoot differently.

I am the president of the University of WA archery club in Seattle. I have seen lots of people come and try it out, and find that they don't really like it.

I personally own a Bickerstaffe, lemonwood with hickory and horn nocks. 60# at 28 inch draw. It fires very well and is worth every penny.
    Pi R Squared, no...Pie R round, cornbread R squared.

Thanks for the replies, yeah there is a couple of clubs back a home that I can talk to about trying it out in the summer. I used to love archery as a kid and it's something I regret not taking up regularly. But yeah before I buy, you're right; I should try out some different draw lengths and weights etc.

One more thing, If this does become a regular past-time for me what would you say is the minimum distance needed from shooting position to target to be able to practice effectively (thinking in terms of my back garden here), and is it advisable to practise in my back garden without supervision or will I develop bad habbits? I would of course also attend classes as often as I could at a club.
    'There's a reason you separate military and the police. One fights the enemies of the state, the other serves and protects the people. When the military becomes both, then the enemies of the state tend to become the people.' - Commander William Adama.

practise practise practise

I am quite sure Mr. Tuan could advise you on distances much better than I could for practise. Personally I shoot in my backyard as often as I can and that is the time I take to work on my form and such and I shoot there anywhere from 20-25 yards to even closer when my son is shooting with me. In my opinion archery is an art of "doing the same exact thing every time in order to acheive the same result". Without an instructor you have to be your own worst critic. . Archery is rewarding and awsome and an art of instant gratification. Nothing is better than watching the arc of the arrow and hearing the thump of the target. I am a fan of horsearchery myself and I DO enjoy riding and shooting. When most folks go on cross country trail rides here they may pack a gun or something. Me i get stares at my mongol bow being in its quiver on my saddle. MAIN point have a blast and if I can help at all I would be proud to!!!
    I have seen quite a few UK archery clubs on the youtube. They all seem like very nice and wonderful people. I am quite sure you will be invited in at any of those. Most of us are just excited you show intrest in our archaic art!
    Last edited by Craig Holt; 04-20-2009 at 10:00 AM. Reason: addition
    E TAN, E EPI TAS

I shoot in my backyard from anywhere from 10-25 yards, I would concur with Mr Holt, its all about doing the same thing over and over. Its almost like meditation at times, stress relief and there is not much more satisfying that a well loosed arrow being true. I personally would not do longbow if I didn't have to, a nice Fred Bear recurve is my bow of choice for learning. longbow is harder to stay consistent with in the beginning.
    Mike J Arledge
    Not hear? when noise was everywhere! it tolled
    Increasing like a bell. Names in my ears
    Of all the lost adventurers my peers,--
    How such a one was strong, and such was bold,
    And such was fortunate, yet each of old
    Lost, lost! one moment knelled the woe of years.

Robert Browning
    --Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    http://www.facebook.com/CreyrGlasLightworks

i concur

I DO have to agree with Mr. Mike there. The very first "real" bow I was given was a Fred Bear boar bow(handed down). It had a site window and all So I do agree this might be an easier way to start than shooting straight off the hand. Now , however, it is all asiatic horsebows and gloves on both hands. One for the fingers(have NOT figured out that thumb release) and one so the feathers dont tear me up to badly. Most importantly though...have fun and enjoy your time with the bow. If it isn't fun and relaxing what is the point in the first place? I cannot speak for everyone but i would love to see a pic of what you decide on!!!
    E TAN, E EPI TAS

Ha I'm always snap-happy so I'm sure take many pictures of anything I buy.

I'll see about trying my hand on a few different types of bow and see what takes my fancy...

ok

here is the HOME page of sevenmeadows. If you pull it down you can se me and my son. Never a better time in the world as me and the boy wandering the woods and stump shooting!!

http://www.sevenmeadowsarchery.com/g...ihtml?formid=1
    Last edited by Craig Holt; 04-20-2009 at 02:57 PM. Reason: link addition
    E TAN, E EPI TAS

cheers for the link Craig, looks a lot of fun. some nice stuff on the site as well, some of the knives for sale have taken my eye, may have to get one!

btw, I've sent an e-mail to a local club back home, may as well get the ball rolling.

thanks

I did not mean the link as an endorsement there...the mods dont like that. But the people there are wonderful and nice folks and i thought you'd like seeing some different bows and all. Good luck on all your searches.
    E TAN, E EPI TAS

Archery in all forms is huge in the UK -sadly, I didn't find out until after I left!

3D, Target, Field - you name it and you can do it.

Longbow would be the tradition for an Englishman but it is hard. I shoot a Compound but shoot it bare with no sights.
    Bartender and Brewmeister for the Pub

Stranger in a Strange land

hello

Hello Mr. Rous,

Sadly I never got into compound bows. Not for any other reason than I just like old things. I am currently saving up for(and reenlisting for) an actual horn bow made by a well known bowyer who does amazing work. I am constantly amazed by the speed and accuracy of compounds ....i just like the old stuff that smells of horn and sinew and leather. Archery in ALL its form are making a huge comeback and I am proud to see it. All forms of competition archery, primitive shoots, there is a HUGE resurgance of horseback archery. Combine it with swords as this forum is SO named and can life get any better?
    E TAN, E EPI TAS

You can call me Mat

Funnily enough, I've just been drooling over all the bows on your site

The hilarity for me is that my 62 year old Mum is the Treasurer for an Archery club back in the UK - she's gone from Compound to Recurve and now shoots primitive.

primitive...

Thanks Matt,

Funny the words primitive and your Mum in the same sentence...an English lady, inspired a chuckle. I have always shot primitive because being Native American that is just what I grew up with. When I went to Saudi with the Military in 2001 the arabs were quite kind to me and a local Saudi landowner let us ride his horses and his grooms taught a couple of us who knew bows and horses already to combine the two. Good times... so i then got vastly interested in the old steppe archers and archery and havent looked back since. English archers, however, would not have been a force i wanted to see on the other end of the field...time to check the passport and find other locales!!!
    E TAN, E EPI TAS

I know it's funny. Woe betide the burglar that breaks into my Mum's house

The only thing you can't do Bow related in the UK is Hunt. I'm looking to do a bit of hunting here when I get back to my previous shooting level.

I have to say I'm tempted by the Symmetrical Hun. It looks amazing.

Hun

Quite actually that is the exact model I own. it is a 50 pound draw and has one heck of a cast and hits a ton. I have had the bow for just over three years now and although I am planning to get a RAEL horn bow I will never part with that bow. I use arrows like the Huns used which is low weight(100 grains or less) heads to keep arrow speed at a maximum. No hunting there? WOW and the english were noted archers and hunters. Well, a lil advice..avoid a lil hairy pig here in Texas called a Javalina!! Never a more vile, angry, mean lil thing existed. And your Mum sounds alot like mine actually. Wo' betide anyone to break into the house and expect a mouse of a lady there. As a child i used to watch her shoot sweet gum balls off a tree with an old cowboy weapon. AHH our Mums.....................
    E TAN, E EPI TAS