Thread: Coat of Arms on this Kindjal?

Coat of Arms on this Kindjal?

Does anyone recognize this coat of arms on this kindjal?
    Attached Images Attached Images     

First looked at the Russian Tsars and found Alexander III who ruled 1881-1894, but disounted that because the Russian crowns seem to be Orb shaped.

But while looking at the Russian alphabet saw that "III" can be pronounced "Shah" and thought a possible association with Persia. Thinking outside the circle on this.....

Ш ш - Pronounced like the "sh" in shut.

Щ щ - Pronounced like "sh" but with your tongue on the roof of your mouth. Try putting your tongue in the same position as you would to say "ch" but say "sh" instead. English speakers may find it hard to define the difference between "ш" and "щ".

I am not sure if that is what it is though, and the crown does not look Russian.

(shrug) decoration and nothing more perhaps?
    Last edited by David Lewis Smith; 06-07-2009 at 07:04 AM.

I don't think it's russian or caucasian. It might be iranian.
    I think there is an inscription on the blade just above the fuller. Maybe close-up pictures of that inscription can provide answers.
    "The relationship between West(Occident) and East(Orient) is indeed an example of a relationship of power and domination. Orientalism is thus a style of thought based upon an ontological and epistemological distinction made between the Orient and the Occident. It is a Western style of dominating, restructuring and building hegemony over the Orient.İt is an accepted grid for filtering through the Orient into Western consciousness, into the general culture."
    From "Orientalism" by Edward Said

here is a photo of the other side which shows a date of 1894.

above the 1894 and then to the right side what are those letters?

Quote Originally Posted by Sancar Ozer View Post
    I don't think it's russian or caucasian. It might be iranian.
    I think there is an inscription on the blade just above the fuller. Maybe close-up pictures of that inscription can provide answers.
    Here is a close-up of inscription on blade, you can see 1331 and possibly a makers or owners name.

Quote Originally Posted by David Lewis Smith View Post
    above the 1894 and then to the right side what are those letters?
    There are two leters above the 1894 that I cannot read, off to the right the number 84 is stamped.

well, i am stumped

It's Made by Hussain
    the Date 1331 is in hijry i think
    that it match ( 1912 - 1913 )

it's (Qama) i think it's Persian Becuse of the Crown Mark

It has been suggested that the crown mark represents untitled Russian aristocracy that is entitled to be called 'Sir".

The silverwork is dated "1894" and the blade has a date of "1912"

There is a silver purity mark of "84".

The blade is also signed "made by Hussein".

Also suggested the crown mark is Persian.

The letters or numbers under the crown so far are unresolved. Seem that they are the Roman numeral 'III" or the letter "E" and also the numeral "I" or the letter "I".

Was thinking numbers may be a unit or regiment.

My wife...

...who knows a lot of Russian history believes the mark on the silverwork is the royal cartouche is the one for Alexander III. The 1894 date would seem to bear this out, as he was Czar until the end of 1894. She strongly believes it's a regimental piece.