Thread: Help needed please on Japanese swordsmith

Help needed please on Japanese swordsmith

Hello to all and greetings, this is my first post! (I am new to collecting)

Can anyone please help with information regarding a Katana that I have in my care.

It is signed Kaga Kami Fujiwara Tada?????? I have checked books ,Internet etc and still come up with Tadataka . Is there such a smith from the Kaga region with this name please ? As the last Kanji is rather hard to read.The blade to me looks Shinto . Any help would be great .Thanks in advance .

P.S. I think there was other Kanji above the Kaga Kanji.It has been rusted away and can not be read.

Regards, Mark

Pics would be really helpful. Also, this should probably be in the Nihonto section.
    I'm totally super cereal!

Hello Tsugio,

Thank you for your post and advice . I will move question to the the Nihonto section .

Kind regards,Mark

Kanji given to me . Can anyone help out with Smith's name.

Hello all ,

I have now placed this Kanji reading ,which was passed onto me from this Katana which I now have . I have tried to find out name here with study ,books etc . Tadataka ???? maybe

Any help with reading Kanji ,would be of great help.

Kind regards,Mark
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Kaga (no) Kami Fujiwara Kanetaka

Smile Help has been found , cheer's

Hello Guido ,

A big thank you for helping me out here. Once I had the full Kanji name , lots of info on him . I guess he would have been a 1st gen of his type . 1652 - 1660.

Not sure what the meaning of Sensei . Is it a type of master or teacher ?

Anyway thanks again Guido , for your help

Kind regards,Mark

'sensei' is an honorific, a respectful form of address. although it does not mean 'master' or 'teacher' it can often carry those connotations.

Dave
    Dave Drawdy
    "the artist formerly known as Sergeant Major"

先生 【せんせい】 (n) (1) teacher; master; doctor; (suf) (2) with names of teachers, etc. as an honorific
    John

Thank you for post and information.

Hello Dave and John ,

Thank you for the great information .It seems to me that this time period Shinto was famous for honorific titles . Kami , Fujiwara etc , most interesting.

Kind regards,Mark

Question NBTHK Papers. Hozon

Wishing a happy and safe New Year for 2010 to all .

Hello to all , I have two swords with Papers 1 Koto & 1 Shinto all in good polish .Can anyone shed some light please on both Hozon papers which came with these blades, Dated 2008 and 2004. I have noted that on the back of both papers, a small area has been rubbed out or scratched out . Any red alarm bells here . Thank you for any help given .

Looking at the papers and the many proof marks they look correct.

Also any local views please, regarding Shinto Katana's which have a very small bend in the blade left or right .Can they be judged and issued with Hozon. And is this a major problem or is this common with this era of blade . I have read and been told many accounts of these blades being "Soft" and bend easy and not the same as the older "Harder" Koto blades:confused.

Kind regards,
    Mark Andrews.

Information about papers may be found at the following links http://japansword.art.coocan.jp/Kant...Kanteisho.html and http://www.nihontocraft.com/japanese_sword_papers.html .

Not certain what it is you're talking about when you say "rubbed out" and "scratched out", perhaps posting an image would help clarify?

Bends in nihonto are not all that uncommon considering, and better that it bends than breaks, no? Most bends, not all, can be straightened by a polisher or a shirasaya maker, that is, if they are not too severe, and/or compounded by a twist. Bends may lead to problems that the collector needs to pay attention to, research 'kizu', including hagiri, and more specifically nihonto 'shinae'.

Stories will be encountered of Shinto and Koto being harder and/or softer, it really depends upon the individual sword in the end.

Buon Capo d'Anno!

Quote Originally Posted by Dr Mark Andrews View Post
    I have noted that on the back of both papers, a small area has been rubbed out or scratched out . Any red alarm bells here.
    That's where the new owner puts his name. Some, however, erase their name when they sell the sword, and it's actually quite common. I never really understood why - IMO they shouldn't put their name there in the first place if they want to remain anonymus ...

Smile Thank you both , for your valued comments regarding NBTHK .

Hello all ,

Yes. these came from Japan ( Dealer ) and sold on to a private collector outside of Japan and then onto me . I have other Hozon papers which are complete and must have the names etc in full ( These are pre 1990 Hozon with out the doted date on the left hand side . They still have the micro Kanji which is hard to see on the older colour Hozon paper but it is there ) Maybe in Japan it is a common practice to erase names of original owner or ( Dealer ) of the sword on these newer Hozon 2004 & 2008 . When sent out of the Japan . Still it is very strange practice of an important doc.

Thank you once again for the information and website ref: Its a great help .

Cheer's, Mark.

Posted Pic NBTHK

Hi,

Just added this pic to show what area that I'm talking about on my Hozon . This may also help other collector's with location of there erased owner name.

Cheer's , Mark.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Posted Pic NBTHK

Hi,

Just added this pic to show what area that I'm talking about on my Hozon . This may also help other collector's with location of there erased owner name.

Cheer's , Mark.

The name erased in the scan is that of the person who applied for and received the papers; subsequent owners write their name in the columns left to it (and below that the date). It's common on all papers from all years and all levels (although with Jy one can easily enough look up the name in the Jy Zufu publications), if sold domestically or abroad doesn't matter.

Kind of a mild paranoia, I guess ...