Thread: what to do in the Chicago Area?

what to do in the Chicago Area?

I am here in Chicago for the next few days, hitting a Russian Restaurant monday or tuesday. but what is good to do during the day?

In the Past...

Don't know about now, but my Yankee wife (from Iowa) once visited when she was 17. She mentions that a great impression was made upon her memories by several institutions there:

Along Michigan Avenue Lakefront--
    Navy Pier
    Art Institute of Chicago
    Museum of Natural History
    Museum of Science and Industry
    SHEDD Aquarium

In the city--
    Sears Tower

Personally, I would contact ADC and see if he would be up for a visitor, or if he could suggest some sword-related sites to visit. He is in Northlake, not 30-40 mins. from Chicago.

Shannon

Delilah's

http://www.delilahschicago.com/

Jukebox has the greatest selection of hardcore punk and the floor is sticky!
    Regards,

Dave Neeley

Senpokan Dojo

"Less Traditional"

Field Museum of Natural History has Sue the Tyrannosaurus mounted in a very striking manner and many other wonderful exhibits.

Museum of Science and Technology is great and has a WWII U-boat that was captured on the high seas that you can tour. Last time I went through it the guide had a distinct German accent and the first several times she refered to "we" or "our side" I wondered to which side she was referring.

SHEDD aquarium was also good although I've only been to it once. The other two I've been to at least three times.
    "Courage is fear holding on a minute longer."--Gen. George S. Patton

Chicago

Hey David the museums here are lovely. The Art institute has a nice collection of arms and armor. Teusday is free day in all the museums so thats a good day to go. The Sears tower has that kool new glass platform outside the building. The food here is great especially the pizza! I like Pequods the best!!!
    "What Matters Most Is How Well You Walk Through The Fire."- Charles Bukowski

David,
    Here's another vote for the Field Museum. The Art Institute is also very nice. is their arms & armor collection still on display? I thought I'd heard that the collection had been put into storage.

Have fun!

Jonathan

P.S. The Berghoff is a good restaurant if you have time!

Quote Originally Posted by Brock H View Post
    Field Museum of Natural History has Sue the Tyrannosaurus mounted in a very striking manner and many other wonderful exhibits.

Museum of Science and Technology is great and has a WWII U-boat that was captured on the high seas that you can tour. Last time I went through it the guide had a distinct German accent and the first several times she refered to "we" or "our side" I wondered to which side she was referring.

SHEDD aquarium was also good although I've only been to it once. The other two I've been to at least three times.
    That sounds supper cool! both Sue and the U Boat, I have never seen either one of those things up close.

Quote Originally Posted by J.G. Hopkins View Post
    David,
    Here's another vote for the Field Museum. The Art Institute is also very nice. is their arms & armor collection still on display? I thought I'd heard that the collection had been put into storage.

Have fun!

Jonathan

P.S. The Berghoff is a good restaurant if you have time!
    I checked online and the display is still up under- Arms, Armor, Medieval, and Renaissance it may have closed down for a while when they put up the new Contempoary art wing which is suppose to be real good.
    "What Matters Most Is How Well You Walk Through The Fire."- Charles Bukowski

Looks like you have some great recommendations here, David. Let us know how your tours go. When you see Sue, be sure to stand right under where she's looking. She may be 65 million years dead, but you still get an idea of what it'd be like in that spot if she were still alive.
    "Courage is fear holding on a minute longer."--Gen. George S. Patton

Are you driving? Kult of Athena is in nearby Elgin if you want to see modern stuff!

I'll be driving into town thursday for a SAFD stage combat seminar.
    Kerry Stagmer
    http://www.baltimoreknife.com
    http://www.fireandbrimstone.com

Cheap things aren't nice and nice things aren't cheap

We are flying out tomorrow morning (Wesndsay) Not sure if we will make it to see sue, but when I get home I will post the few photos of armour and knives I got. Most of the armour is in storage for remodleing and some I think is going to stay there

We might make it up to see Sue, and I am going to try to get to a Russian Resteraunt this evening

Too bad you're not staying through Wed night - the CSG has open fencing on Wednesdays from 6-9. I second other's recommendations of the Arms and Armour exhibit at the Art Institute and the uboat at the M of Science & Industry. And of course heading up the Sears (I refuse to call it Wilis) Tower is a must if the day is clear!
    -Ash