Thread: Sword Wall Mount Item

Sword Wall Mount Item

Hello, thought I would share this great helmet plate of the Royal Engineers. I am making the same type of wall mount as previously viewed in another post mounting a Scottish basket hilt. This is the last item I needed to get started.
    It came relatively quick from over the pond except nasty customs stung me again. It was worth it, and will add to the display.

Quote Originally Posted by Will Mathieson View Post
    Hello, thought I would share this great helmet plate of the Royal Engineers. I am making the same type of wall mount as previously viewed in another post mounting a Scottish basket hilt. This is the last item I needed to get started.
    It came relatively quick from over the pond except nasty customs stung me again. It was worth it, and will add to the display.
    Nice display material you have there, Will - would love to see photos of the finished arrangement (as I have a personal interest in the sword )!

John
    "If I can't be a good example to others, at least let me be a horrible warning".

It may be a while, but I'll get it done. Are you interested in the pattern of sword or the history behind it? I have copies of the Illustrated London News with many of Haigs illustrations. Major Boultons book On the North West Rebellions, mentions Haig many times, including dispatches, good detailed history of individuals. Apparently Haig was not liked by all and was sent back as soon as he was no longer required. He was a minority as a British officer, I believe the only other British officer was Gen. Middleton. There was also competition as a illustrator/journalist during the rebellions.

Resurrecting one of my old ones of Capt H de H Haig R.E. It seems he was rubbing shoulders with the greats, one being in 1899 Theodore Roosevelt.

"Herbert de Haga Haig was a Royal Engineer and Quarter Master to Maj. Gen. Middleton during the Northwest Canadian Rebellion by Native Americans in 1885. He was also a friend of Roosevelt and a fellow-hunter.

Typed letter signed, on his New York Governor's letterhead, Albany, March 30, 1899, to Major Herbert de H. Haig in Agra India, assessing the qualities that made the Rough Riders a success, criticizes the U.S. military leadership in the conflict in Cuba, opines on the caliber of the Spanish soldiers fighting against them, and offers his own intentions on governing in New York, and ends by saying he looks philosophically on the future. "My dear Herbert, I envy you being in India. Heavens and earth! I don't believe I shall ever shoot at game again. I am by no means certain that I could hit it anyway, unless it stayed very still and was very close up. I am delighted to learn that you have children. I now have six. I am sorry that Mrs. Haig does not like India.

"I am having great fun now and I had even greater fun last summer. I had a great regiment for a volunteer organization. Indeed its fighting record would have done credit to any raw organization. I have always believed that with proper leadership there were no better natural soldiers in the world that those hunters, cow punchers, and miners of the West, and that if one paid attention to the essentials instead of the non-essentials of discipline, it would be very easy to turn them into a body which could do excellent work in fighting.

"The Spaniards were a queer lot. They possessed no initiative, and yet they stood and fought with extraordinary courage when behind cover. They did not like standing in the open much. The country was extremely difficult and on our side the battle was not delivered with very much judgment, so we lost heavily. The fever was what laid us up, however.

"New York politics are too kaleidoscopic for a man to have much chance to keep on in it, but I am having a good run for my money and I am going to make a pretty decent Governor, and then accept with entire philosophy whatever comes afterwards."

This is the broadest assessment we have seen from TR of the Rough Riders, and the conflict in which they played so crucial a part and which made his career. Moreover, this is the only letter of TR that we can recall seeing directly criticizing his military superiors during the Spanish-American War. Just over two years after writing this letter, TR was President of the United States."

This above taken from an interesting site called RAAB Collection. https://www.raabcollection.com/presi...-1899-rr#.dpuf