Thread: Wakizashi signature

Wakizashi signature

Further to my recent post regarding the katana, where I mentioned my Wakizash that I'm attempting to decipher, I've attached a couple of photo's, in the hope that someone may offer some help.
    Mel.
    Attached Images Attached Images    
    Last edited by Mel H; 05-22-2015 at 02:21 PM.

Mel,you have a sword signed 'Bizen kuni ju Osafune .... ....',cannot make out the last two characters which are the swordsmith's name.
    It might be 'Sukesada',which is a common name but might be another smith.
    Generally Bizen-to with the longer signature are considered to be better quality than those signed 'Bishu Osafune ....' and yours has that lovely colour and patina on the tang which shows its age.
    Is the blade in good order?
    Nice one Mel,any more pics?

Hello Chris, many thanks for the quick reply, I'll put up a couple more pictures when I have a few minutes to take some. The blade is in reasonable order. The habaki is quite unusual in that it has deeply cut decoration on both sides, depicting a rather amusing hare or rabbit with long rears riding on the waves, looking like a scene from a Disney cartoon. There are references to this event in Japanese mythology.
    Regards Mel.
    Last edited by Mel H; 05-22-2015 at 02:20 PM.

Some more pics, including the habaki, the rabbit may be a depiction of one said to have crossed the ocean by stepping on the backs of sharks.
    Mel.
    Attached Images Attached Images      

Mel,it's 'Yasumitsu',according to Hawley there were five generations Osafune smiths using that name starting in 1414 and going through to 1533,ref; Hawley YAS 847 to YAS 851.
    Blade looks to be very sound and I love that habaki!
    Very nice Mel,a really nice piece to enjoy and thanks for posting it for us to share.
    Were there any mounts with it or just blade and habaki?