Thread: Pillin 1st Surrey Light Horse with family crest, trying to original owner heraldry

Pillin 1st Surrey Light Horse with family crest, trying to original owner heraldry

Morning Chaps , Doing my nana trying to locate who this crest ( greyhound?? courant crossing wheat sheaf) is for but must be for one of the officers of the short lived 1st surrey light horse.

Raised at Clapham in 1860 as 1st Surrey Mounted Rifles but title changed 1st Surrey Light Horse in 1861 Commanding Officer Captain Walter Mellor; Hon. Captain of the Corps was Major-General Yorke Scarlett. reviewed by Prince of Wales in Hyde Park 28th May 1864.. Disbanded in June 1868.

Any help locating heraldry, family crests or list of officers would be wonderful
    Attached Images Attached Images     

Super sword Phil! I can narrow down your search somewhat. From W.Y.Carman ‘Light Horse & Mounted Rifle Volunteers 1860-1901, here is the list of all known Officers:
    Capt. Walter Meller
    Lt. Frederick Doulton
    Lt. Hon. F.W.Byng (13th Light Dragoons)
    Lt. Sir Charles Forbes Bart. (17th Lancers)
    Lt. Henry Walker
    Cornet James Peters
    Cornet Henry Walker
    Cornet Richard Lomax
    Cornet Edmund Clench
    Cornet Joseph Daw
    Hon. Chaplain Rev. Wentworth Bowyer
    Hon. Vet. Surgeon William Field
    Hon. Asst. Surgeon Thomas H.Wakeley

So hopefully he’s one of these thirteen....apart from Fairbairn’s try the ‘ my family silver’ website you might get a hit!
    PS. Is your sword numbered?

Pic

A greyhound courant, in front of what? Is that wheat sheafs or a tree?

The crest for Walker-Heneage is a greyhound courant

I’d say it was a wheatsheaf or ‘Garb’ in heraldic nomenclature.

WATNEY. although doesn't appear on the list.

BLAZON
    Upon A Mount Vert, In Front Of A Garb Erect Or, A Greyhound Courant Sa., Gorged With A Collar, And Therefrom Pendent A Bugle-Horn Of The Second.

Well found James! Related to the famous Brewing family of that county?
    Last edited by Ben Bevan; 02-19-2021 at 06:36 AM.

Can't find any reference to watney and Surrey light horse in the Gazette although many of the others mentioned on the army lists crop up. Perhaps he never took up his commission.

Just a thought, could the family crest be a later addition?

The sword comes with a much later scabbard which is not uncommon however the guard and backstrap look in better condition than the blade, could this have been rehilted for later use by someone who wanted to use an heirloom blade and add their crest.

Morning Chaps , sorry moving house at the minute. Great information, no no number to blade and yes its wheat sheaf not a "Fat" tree . Blade may well have been rehilted but think thats due to it being plated by some dill (though it is finely done) and blade engravings look to be of the same period. More head scratching for me but many thanks for the Officer list/ fine painting and the "myfamilysilver" site which should be a great resource for the future.
    Many thanks!
    Phil

One point of difference between what is on the sword and the WATNEY family crest is the absence of a mount, as can be seen in the image posted by Ben.

Yes thought the same about the missing mound, looking at the Walker heraldry there's quite a few with hounds in their crests which would tidy thinks up with Cornet/Lt. Henry Walker if I could find a match. Watneys pretty well there so maybe just not listed with the officers as regions right.