Thread: Sharpe's Sword

Sharpe's Sword

A few days ago I started working my way through the Sharpe series staring Sean Bean. This question has probably been asked before, but here goes: Any idea as to the pattern of the sword Sharpe carries?
    "Courage is fear holding on a minute longer."--Gen. George S. Patton

1796 Heavy Cavalry

The author (Bernard Cornwell) has a note at the end of one of the Sharpe books on the sword.
    The sword was the 1796 pattern Heavy Cavalry sword - completely unsuitable for an infantry officer, but he liked the idea of a big sword for Sharpe and apparently purchased one to check how it would be carried. I don't know if that accuracy was carried over in the TV series.

The 1796 HC sword would be a better sword than infantry swords of the period but heavier though not overly. The 1796 is longer and a better cutter and thruster with its hatchet point ground.
    Cavalry also fought on foot with these swords.

Thank you, gentlemen. I had suspected it was an actual pattern and not a made up sword for the films.
    "Courage is fear holding on a minute longer."--Gen. George S. Patton

Quote Originally Posted by David. L View Post
    The author (Bernard Cornwell) has a note at the end of one of the Sharpe books on the sword.
    The sword was the 1796 pattern Heavy Cavalry sword - completely unsuitable for an infantry officer, but he liked the idea of a big sword for Sharpe and apparently purchased one to check how it would be carried. I don't know if that accuracy was carried over in the TV series.
    Is that where that sword came from at the theater? I watched two kids have a sword fight using a really nice looking saber and a stage sword after a party one night at Monomoy theater. I always wondered why we had something that nice...
    I like swords.

If you want to climb a mountain, begin at the top.

"Integrity, justice, courage, and action - without these, a person is of no consequence." - Don Nelson

learn the way to preserve rather than destroy.
    avoid rather than check, check rather than hurt, hurt rather than maim, maim rather than kill.
    for all life is precious, not one can be replaced.