Thread: Sword Attributed To General and President Franklin Pierce

Sword Attributed To General and President Franklin Pierce

In rummaging through misplaced bookmarks, I had flagged this sword listed at Horse Soldier. Now on Hold, so I figure we can at least discuss its attributes. I am attaching just a couple of images but have archived them all.
    Name:  fp.jpg
Views: 141
Size:  107.0 KBName:  fpb.jpg
Views: 143
Size:  92.1 KB

https://www.horsesoldier.com/product...-weapons/33592

I don't know that we have much more provenance that we could expect for but if this was the sword of Pierce while a brigadier general during the Mexican War, we are looking at a sword from the 1840s. As such, it kind of returns back to a few attributes we often discuss. If contemporary to his military service, it seems a sword bought by, or for him.

Old new stock? Or, what I have come to categorize eagle head pommel swords of the 1830s-1840s? When we look further at the blade etching and gilt, we have a somewhat typical indian and federal theme. A note to Simon, of a particular theme, the frog leg eagle. From the grip to the ferrule, I see somewhat later work and the knuckle guard somewhat timeless but to me seems as retro, or might I say baroque. A more romantic period of American stylings after the earlier war.

Does this help date other swords with mixed panel decoration on sword blades? Do we look further at all attributes? I try to read the latter but while realizing some particulars did last decades. Can we put that blade (by itself) as 1820s work?

Cheers
    GC
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Glen C.; 03-31-2021 at 06:27 AM.

WOW $9500.00 on hold lol for you ? good for you !!! bill

Not me.

The provenance is rather shaky, but not impossible. The sword could have been Franklin Pierce's, or one of his brothers, who were both career officers. We may never know.