Thread: N. Starr Model 1818? With Spurious Markings

N. Starr Model 1818? With Spurious Markings

Was looking at eBay earlier this week and saw a sword ad titled "N. Starr Model 1818?".
    The ricasso is marked "U.S. / P / N. Starr".
    The above lettering was stamped using a modern lettering stamp set (Harbor Freight?).
    I sent the seller a polite email explaining that the lettering was not authentic, and that I
    had compared it to a known authentic Nathan Starr sword and the difference was obvious.
    I also told him that I hoped he could return it to whomever he bought it from and get his money back.
    I got no reply, and the sword is still listed on eBay.

ETA: Seller has the following statement in his ad:
    "If you know more about an item than me (sic) speak up as I do not mind learning or being told I am wrong..."
    Last edited by JD Morris; 05-23-2021 at 05:02 PM.

Many people buy stuff they know little about and when you add markings to a genuine antique they are unlikely to believe these are spurious.
    He may think you are trying to lower the price, or he does know about the markings. Either way bringing it to their attention doesn't work.
    You can worn people not to buy a bad car but they will still do it. Best you can do is avoid these yourself and let others educate themselves on what they collect, and yes they will get stung at some point along the way.

Report an item and move on. Message the seller mentioning you are reporting the item and why. His ? mark in his listing is enough to make the listing legit.

While I disagree with parts of the guidelines here, they were put here for a reason.

Discussing On line Auctions
    Discussion threads containing links to active on line auctions, opinions regarding the authenticity of goods featured therein and specific commentary regarding the sellers of some of this material have occasionally presented themselves on this forum. In order to minimize SFI's culpability in these matters and on advice of our Attorney General, discussions of active on line auctions will be treated as a 'no-fly zone' and will not be be permitted.

http://www.swordforum.com/vb4/showth...um-PLEASE-READ!
    Last edited by Glen C.; 05-23-2021 at 02:37 PM.

Glen C. ---

Sorry. I read the rules when I signed up several years ago, and didn't think about them when I wrote the post in question.

I have deleted the seller's eBay ID and the item number of the ad. I hope that this helps. If not, I guess that the mods will delete the post.

I wouldn't worry about it too much. We have discussed the general problems without the specific sellers by name. There are plenty of auctions I'd love to discuss here but at the same time might end up pitting each other in bidding wars.

I have managed to get some sellers revise or remove an auction but as long as a seller is listing some sort of disclaimer, the only reportable issue might be price gouging.

Cheers
    GC