Thread: British Naval 1858 Cutlass with German blade

British Naval 1858 Cutlass with German blade

Hi Guys
    I am having difficulty identifying this blade maker, probably German but I cant find this particular design in any of my books. Can anyone help identify it thanks.
    References to this pattern are also hard to source as it came in at the same time as the cutlass bayonet. I have seen it referred to as a lead cutter but I am not convinced this is actually correct.

Cheers Cathey
    Attached Images Attached Images     

Cathey, think we’re stumped on the makers mark and I wonder if it isn’t RN but a private purchase cutlass given the lack of markings, as you say there’s little info on these 1845/1858 types. What I did notice was the unusual oval reinforcing plate riveted to the hilt round the grip, not seen normally, till I found another example, this one, although no makers mark, does have a British B97 inspection mark on the blade. Hopefully someone will ID the maker eventually. Ben

I agree with it being private purchase. The reinforcing plate does emulate lead cutters but the blade is of standard cutlass size and not the heavier and therefore wider blade.

1858 Cutlass?

Hi Ben
    From what I can find thus far these cutlasses were contracted at the same time as the 1859 Sword Cutlass bayonet. There are records of the cutlass bayonet being issued but none on the cutlass’s also ordered at the same time. On page 91, Volume 1 Swords for sea service there is a reference to cutlasses produced at the same times as the cutlass bayonet but not adopted. This might explain why this cutlass has no issue marks and may have been repurposed for training use.

The first cutlass I posted has a 26 ¾” spear point blade, but I have other one identical other than that the blade is 27” spear point blade which is 1 ½” wide at the hilt. These blades are not blunted as you might expect in a training sword. I have attached the picture from Volume 2 of Swords for sea service as apart from the rack plate on the guard it is identical to the two that I have acquired recently. The reinforced plate on the inside of the guard and again on the outside is more prominent in this second example and this outside plate is missing on the first one.

I have found references to cutlasses and sometimes just the blades in 1858 being produced by Liege makers as well as German makers. It might be the mark I am trying to trace is that of a Liege Belgium maker not German.

Cheers Cathey

I saw that maker's mark when researching another stamp last week. I'll try to find it again. IIRC, the source said that it was a "moor's head."

Thanks Mark

I have looked everywhere and like you I am sure I have seen it before, just can't find it now.

Thanks Cathey

Guys: Gebruder Crusius used a Moor's head, I just cannot find the pix of the trademark. Also; Anton Wingen used a Moor's head as well, but they listed it as Othello's head from the Play. I think this one might be easier to find than the obscure Crusius Brothers' mark...

My guess on this weapon is Anton Wingen.

Dale
    Last edited by Dale Martin; 06-05-2021 at 02:43 PM.