Thread: Stone Axe Collection (One Viking decorated ? )

Stone Axe Collection (One Viking decorated ? )

A friend of mine wants to sell a part of his collection with some really interesting axes. I would like to hear your opinion about the pieces, especially about the decorated axe.
    Kind regards
    Arne

Attached Images Attached Images  

Are these authentics or reproductions? And what do they cost?

Nice axes.

Authenticity of stone tools is nearly impossible to tell, but they seem nice. Where were they found?

Re. the decorated one, what makes you say "Viking"?
    Hwęšere žęr fuse feorran cwoman
    to žam ęšelinge. - Dream of the Rood

"Ah, Blackadder. Started talking to yourself, I see."
    "Yes...it's the only way I can be assured of intelligent conversation."
    - Lord Melchett and Lord Edmund Blackadder

They look very strange to me. It's very difficult to tell about the authenticity of stone axes, but judging from the shape and overall appearance, I'd suggest that those are fake/reproduction. But maybe I'm wrong.

Where has your friend got those axes from? Has he found them himself?

Cool!

Wow, didn't know the vikings used stone axes. Well, on a side note, I think some of them look like canoes but in any case, those are very neat!

Re: Cool!

Originally posted by K Jenq
    Wow, didn't know the vikings used stone axes. Well, on a side note, I think some of them look like canoes but in any case, those are very neat!
    That's why they are sometimes called "boat axes".

But they are NOT Viking! The lines on the axe may look Viking-like, but *if* a Viking engraved these lines (which I think it very unlikely) that would a great exception, not a rule.

Here's some information on the culture which produced them:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Corded_ware
    Hwęšere žęr fuse feorran cwoman
    to žam ęšelinge. - Dream of the Rood

"Ah, Blackadder. Started talking to yourself, I see."
    "Yes...it's the only way I can be assured of intelligent conversation."
    - Lord Melchett and Lord Edmund Blackadder

Smile Thank you!

Thank you Mr. Hansen, I learned alot about that from the link...wasn't even aware of this "Corded Ware" culture. Well, shows just how much I know!

What I heard is that some of these objects, where used in later times a "cult objects" and that the Vikings could have engraved these lines, as Paul said before.

Stone axes were also known as "donnerkeile" in German and "donderstenen" in Dutch (thunderstones). Our ancestors believed that the god Thunar (a.k.a. Donar/Thor) threw them from the sky as lightning bolts. They were often hung on houses to protect them against the thunder.

This axes are common for the late neolithic, early bronze age in europe, not viking - there are 4500 years between this both eras!

Some of this stone axes has engraved "casting" lines to imitate bronze axes!

The decors looks recent made!

Someone dated the engravings to the 13-14 Cent AD, I do not know, if that is correct.

Just for the general interest maybe, I hope it is not against the forum rules :
    The battle Axe is already gone.....
    The small Boat axe with the smooth surface 1500 Euros,
    The rough surface boat Axe 1850 Euros,
    The decorated (maybe decorated in the 13-14 Cent. A.D.) typical Nordic double Axe 5500 Euros.
    Kind Regards
    Arne

Judging by the prices these are authentics. Anyone knows where poor people like me can get reproductions?

Originally posted by Arne Provos
    Just for the general interest maybe, I hope it is not against the forum rules :
    The battle Axe is already gone.....
    The small Boat axe with the smooth surface 1500 Euros,
    The rough surface boat Axe 1850 Euros,
    The decorated (maybe decorated in the 13-14 Cent. A.D.) typical Nordic double Axe 5500 Euros.
    Kind Regards
    Arne
    Since quite a few posts in this part of the forum now are you and your friends selling off objects i think you should consider to move this to classifieds.

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Smaling View Post
    Judging by the prices these are authentics. Anyone knows where poor people like me can get reproductions?
    You can always try building one yourself. It would mean a lot more to you

A great family heirloom.
    "The trolls may have my life indeed, when I can no more redden keen Laufi. Then you may carry the destroyer of the mailcoat's wand into the howe, without delay." -Bersi the Dueller

Stone as a tool was in use in Norway far longer than in the rest of europe.
    Bevause of bronze beenig imported to norway, bronze was mostly used for status-symbols while stone was kept in use for tools. In Norway, stone-crafters even specialized in making stone-stuff that was meant to resemble bronse-stuff! Because of this, some sais that Norway never had a bronze-age, and that we went from stone-age to iron age.

The bronze age in Norway was from 1700 bc to 500 bc, but stone tools were in use longer than this, despite the fact that iron is easy to obtain in Norway. Stone is even easier to obtain in Norway! Stone cauldrons and stone arrowheads were used in some areas in Norway all the way up till the viking age. The axes shown is not from norway, though? (And if they are, they look like norwegian stone axes from before christ that I've seen on pictures.
    My real name is actually Bjorn Are Stolen, but the ID creation don't seem to accept it!

I am not too much of an idealist when it comes to ancient objects in circulation in a commercial environment, but does nobody else find it worrying that we are asking such questions of these artefacts as "where are they from?" "are they authentic?" "what was the context in which they were found"? In many countries, most European ones in fact, there are specific laws and guidelines on the retrieval of ancient remains. Most artefacts being retailed which are provenanced to these places are consequently illegally retrieved and then sold. Of course, many are very old finds and this comment is not aimed at this specific collection itself, but in a more general sense.

Selling ancient artefacts with no provenance or history for commercial gain removes them from any useful framework for really understanding them. One of the common reasons for pieces not having this form of information is because the finders, if not necessarily the current owners, retrieved them illegally and don't want to leave any evidence which may incriminate them. By buying and selling artefacts commercially this is encouraging looters to continue destroying archaeological heritage and dramatically reduces what can constructively say about the remains of the past. Swordforum, I would have thought is an environment for seeking to understand weapons of the past, and surely the commercial circulation of ancient weapons is counterproductive to this quest for understanding?

I know this may be seen by some as slightly idealistic, but I think there are points in this worth considering?

Barry
    Last edited by Barry Molloy; 11-29-2006 at 06:47 AM.
    "If your bayonet breaks, strike with the stock; if the stock gives way, hit with your fists; if your fists are hurt, bite with your teeth" (Dragomiroff, c.1890)

I agree with you, and perhaps goes a little further...
    I'm actually against private collections, as they're a catalysator for the plundering we see in Iraq

Discussing stuff on swordforum is a good thing, I think; perhaps stolen stuff is identified thanks to stupid/naive collectors posting illegal content on this forum, thus identified.
    IMHO original artifacts belong only one place, and that's in public museums (where everybody can access the stuff and study it)

There are so many examples of artifacts beeing lost. Personally it was a close call in Norway in 1942, when the Nazi party wanted to give Heinrich Himmler the original Snartemosword (see picture below). Thanks to kool headed museum-people, they managed to stall the process, and compromise, so that a goldsmith in Oslo made a replica instead that was then given to another german Nazi. Had the sword gone to Germany, it would probably be bombed to smitherens by the allied bombings....
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Bjorn Kristiansen; 11-29-2006 at 07:53 AM.
    My real name is actually Bjorn Are Stolen, but the ID creation don't seem to accept it!