Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Good news: Ronin from Roninswords.com should be on the way home!

Kentucky, where people date their sisters :)

Good news: Ronin from Roninswords.com should be on the way home!

Well, I got an email from Brian today, saying that my Ronin was ready, there was one problem though, he used cotton instead of silk like I asked for. I understand about mistakes, when I did gun smithing, I made them too, its all how he handles it. Well Brian offered to either rewrap my sword in silk, or to wrap another sword for me in silk at a later date, thats great service, and I think I'm gonna take him up on it with my Shura, during a full koshirae rebuild.

Heres the pic he sent me of the cotton wrapped tsuka, I couldn't hurt a thing of beauty like that.

He was also nice enough to inform me that the colors on the purple Ito and
    Sageo don't match, so I requested White Sageo, I think it will look good

Thanks Brian!

Purty color Adam....that guy does very nice work .....
    Onward, Ever Onward......Skip Allen

"Honor has not to be won; it must only not be Lost"........Arthur Schopenhauer (1788 - 1860)

"I know not what course others may take, but as for me, give me liberty, or give me death !!".......
    Patrick Henry, to the Virginia Convention, March 23, 1775

Thanks George.

Every martial arts competition I have ever been to, I think I have seen purple ito 2 times before, both belonging to women, its such a nice color too. I don't understand.

My shuras gonna get blood red though, with skull and crossbones fittings.

Very nice. I've been seriously considering Brians work myself (the buying urge coming on again) Seems like everyone seems to be purchasing the ronin instead of the bushi. Is there a reason (besides the $100 difference) that I am missing? Thanks guys
    Byako

I think that's the nicest work I've seen from Brian so far. Very nice color, too.

"It is not historically proven, but traditional Kabuki and Chambarra (period movies) indicate the rank of a samurai by the color of the tsukamaki: black - blue - dark brown - light brown - gray - purple - white. However, since this approximates roughly the percentage of colors found on swords, it might be about right"
    - Guido Schiller

http://home.earthlink.net/~steinrl/k...e/koshirae.htm
    "It is my feeling that to make a good sword, one must make a weapon first, and art second. But if it is really "right", it is both things at once, and in equal measure." -- Howard Clark

"I cannot compensate for improper use of a sword. Nothing is bullet proof and idiots prove on a regular basis that nothing is idiot-proof -- they're just too creative." -- Keith Larman

Adam,

Looks great. Oh man hopefully mine will be done soon, I think I was next in line. Do you remember when you sent in your payment?

Andrew,

I chose the Bushi because I did not like the fittings of the Ronin. Also the kobuse style blade intrigued me. Had the fittings been different on the Ronin I would probably have gone that route, both steels he offers are good so I based my choice off of the fittings.

Blackwell
    "You will make my strength your own. You will see my life through your eyes, as your life will be seen through mine. The son becomes the father. And the father, the son. "

thanks Blackwell, I agree on the fittings and the blade. I was just wondering if I was missing something on the blades that others were seeing, like polish, quality etc. I just don't like the choices of tsuba for the bushi. I am more and more leaning his way.
    Byako

Guys, guys, Brian will change anything you want, all ya gotta do is ask

I went with the Ronin instead of the Bushi because my $400 windfall turned into $300. I like the fittings on both, the simple iron on the Bushi, or the Brass on the Ronin.

But seriously, if you want something different just E-mail Brian for a quote, he is more than willing to help. Rnatalli had a bamboo theme done to his bushi, and it didn't cost any extra.

Blackwell, he received payment in 3 weeks ago. Thats purdy fast in my book for a semi-custom.

Quote Originally Posted by AdamTNesvick View Post
    Guys, guys, Brian will change anything you want, all ya gotta do is ask

I went with the Ronin instead of the Bushi because my $400 windfall turned into $300. I like the fittings on both, the simple iron on the Bushi, or the Brass on the Ronin.

But seriously, if you want something different just E-mail Brian for a quote, he is more than willing to help. Rnatalli had a bamboo theme done to his bushi, and it didn't cost any extra.

Blackwell, he received payment in 3 weeks ago. Thats purdy fast in my book for a semi-custom.
    Hey, Ok well I sent im my payment around that same time too, although he is getting silver fittings for mine so that is making the wait time longer. I agree that is really fast, has taken me that long to get production swords from some companys!

Blackwell
    "You will make my strength your own. You will see my life through your eyes, as your life will be seen through mine. The son becomes the father. And the father, the son. "

I sent the money for my Bushi today. Can't wait!

More info, I'm keeping the original purple Sageo, Brian said it looked good and I don't want the poor guy to have to tie another knot, so as soon as I get the sword, and can borrow a camera, I will post a bunch of pics.

Talking Ronin swords

Hi there I just talked to brian at roninswords ,He said my bushi should be ready in about week or so. I opted for the Bloodred ito and sageo & with dragon koshirae. Cant wait to see how it turns out.

Based on some of the pictures in his gallery, Brian's work has improved significantly, especially in this type of wrap. It's a nice looking wrap. So long as it be nice and hard/tight, should work out nicely.
    Non nobis Domine, non nobis sed Nomini Tuo da Gloriam
    "Not to us Lord, Not to us, but to Thy Name be the Glory"

Adsum, Domine: Totus ingenibus meis ad pedes tuos proponeo.
    Duce et regere servum tui, Domine, ab omnibus temptationem, ita ut honor purus et donum meum incontaminatus sit.
    "Here am I, Lord: All my talents at Thy feet I lay. Guide and guard Thy servant, Lord, from all temptation, that honor may be spotless and my gift unstained."
    - Katherine Kurtz "Healer's Song"

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew W. Priestley View Post
    Based on some of the pictures in his gallery, Brian's work has improved significantly, especially in this type of wrap. It's a nice looking wrap. So long as it be nice and hard/tight, should work out nicely.
    Its TIGHT Andrew, I cannot move it whatsoever.

Same on my Bushi. The wrap is as tight as it gets.

Originally from California...but now stuck in the Midwest.
    Wow, Adam, that's a very nice example of katatemaki...and somehow the purple complements the black same VERY WELL. Brian never ceases to amaze me with his tsukamaki skills, yet he claims to not be a professional tsukamakishi; he's too kind and modest.

Regards,
    H. Watanabe

Quote Originally Posted by H. Watanabe View Post
    Wow, Adam, that's a very nice example of katatemaki...and somehow the purple complements the black same VERY WELL. Brian never ceases to amaze me with his tsukamaki skills, yet he claims to not be a professional tsukamakishi; he's too kind and modest.

Regards,
    H. Watanabe
    I know, I've had "professional" wraps done that weren't this tight or symmetrical. I'm sending my Shura this week for silk blood red hineri maki, and will of course let everyone know how it turns out.

I still can't get over how nice of wrap he uses, that one is cotton and feels better than the silk wraps I've had done in the past, I can't wait to see a silk wrap from him.

I am also surprised everyone likes the purple, I have seen very little purple ito over the years, you would think it would be a gimme, its a nice color and goes very well with black same, and brass fittings.

Originally from California...but now stuck in the Midwest.
    I know, I've had "professional" wraps done that weren't this tight or symmetrical. I'm sending my Shura this week for silk blood red hineri maki, and will of course let everyone know how it turns out.

I still can't get over how nice of wrap he uses, that one is cotton and feels better than the silk wraps I've had done in the past, I can't wait to see a silk wrap from him.

I am also surprised everyone likes the purple, I have seen very little purple ito over the years, you would think it would be a gimme, its a nice color and goes very well with black same, and brass fittings.
    "Silk blood red hineri maki"...Hmmm...sounds interesting! Yes, you should let us all know how it turns out, as well as post some pictures.

I was going to ask you earlier about the differences in how silk feels in your hands compared to cotton. Also, I highly doubt that laypeople like us can spot any differences in cotton vs. silk when looking only at pictures, so why do people always make a fuss about choosing silk over quality cotton???

Adam, I think the reason why we don't normally come across purple ito is because people tend to associate purple with girls and everything feminine, and seeing as how most sword enthusiasts are of the male gender...well, you get the picture. I, however, think purple ito looks very nice! Plus, just the purple ito alone makes your katana stand out from a typical katana.

Regards,
    H. Watanabe

Any chance for more photos, or any new accounts of cutting performance? Just very curious...
    Last edited by Laurence J.; 04-10-2007 at 01:52 AM.
    "The roaring of lions, the howling of wolves, the raging of the stormy sea, and the destructive sword, are portions of eternity too great for the eye of man." - William Blake

Quote Originally Posted by H. Watanabe View Post
    "Silk blood red hineri maki"...Hmmm...sounds interesting! Yes, you should let us all know how it turns out, as well as post some pictures.

I was going to ask you earlier about the differences in how silk feels in your hands compared to cotton. Also, I highly doubt that laypeople like us can spot any differences in cotton vs. silk when looking only at pictures, so why do people always make a fuss about choosing silk over quality cotton???

Adam, I think the reason why we don't normally come across purple ito is because people tend to associate purple with girls and everything feminine, and seeing as how most sword enthusiasts are of the male gender...well, you get the picture. I, however, think purple ito looks very nice! Plus, just the purple ito alone makes your katana stand out from a typical katana.

Regards,
    H. Watanabe
    The silk vs cotton argument,

This is pretty easy, if they are both of high quality, they don't feel any different whatsoever. The only difference is that Cotton has a tendency to stretch if it gets wet (you won't notice on a good wrap), and tends to get fuzzy faster than silk. Now, if you compare silk to that shoelace ito you get on a Masahiro or Cheness (Sorry Paul, but it DOES feel like it came out of an old pair of Nikes) it feels like a whole other world. No one really uses high quality cotton wrap, it seems, except the high end hanwei blades.

Laurence, I can't take anymore photos because my camera is toast.

Have you had a chance to cut with this? I am curious to how they handle.

Also has anyone been in touch with roninswords lately? I have been trying for a couple of weeks to no avail.

Dan

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Smiddy View Post
    Have you had a chance to cut with this? I am curious to how they handle.

Also has anyone been in touch with roninswords lately? I have been trying for a couple of weeks to no avail.

Dan
    It cuts great, single and double mats like butta

Brian is currently out of town, he went to a Token Kai show and should be back early next week. Hopefully he will have my Shura rewrapped soon.

Here is a full pic of my ronin btw, I finally got a camera, just a crappy one. And a pic of the hamon, and a fuzzy pic of the kissaki

Note to self, stand 5 ft back and it looks better

hey Nesvick. I was thinking about getting that style of wrap on my bushi and i was wondering about the fittings. Do they stay pretty firmly in place when you push at them? That's supposed to be the point where the left hand grips, so i was just wondering

It cuts great, single and double mats like butta

Brian is currently out of town, he went to a Token Kai show and should be back early next week. Hopefully he will have my Shura rewrapped soon.

Here is a full pic of my ronin btw, I finally got a camera, just a crappy one. And a pic of the hamon, and a fuzzy pic of the kissaki

Note to self, stand 5 ft back and it looks better
    Adam,

Man I need Tylenol now, gave me a headache trying to look at those, LMAO!!

Take your Bushi down to FamilyPhoto in the Mall and have them take some photos....

Blackwell

Hey, I sent in my order for a Ronin telling him what I wanted. I told him at the end of it to let me know if he had any extra upgrade parts or anything and to send me back a quote. I have waited a couple of days for his response and gotten nothing back. Think he's out of town? I've never ordered anything in this fashion. If I don't get anything back within the week, should I just send the regular payment of $300?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast