Thread: Something thats Concerning me.

Something thats Concerning me.

So I was in Class today working on my senior Project. ( 1 yr left till I’m done my degree) when the person beside me comes up to my friend who is learning Northern Shaolin (its pretty neat his Sifu is my Girlfriends father). I’m into Iaido since I was 9, and have recently been learning Northern Shaolin for the 2 yrs me and my gf have been dating. Anyhow that’s beside the point.
    The guy beside me goes to my friend and starts talking about some swords related stuff. (At this point I’m not sure how the conversation started). But then the guy starts going on and on about how all of us who have trained with swords including our instructors know nothing and that he (with no experience at all) can out do any of us in knowledge and skill just because he works in a Knife/Hobby shop. During this time I kinda chuckled to myself at this huge show of arrogance.
    Then my friend started getting insulted and cussed at for trying to get this guy to open his eyes. It was at this point that I stepped in because of the complete lack of respect he showed. I pretty much told the guy that he should stop before he makes a fool of himself and possibly gets himself hurt with a real sword.
    He pretty much looked at me like I was crazy, which to me I could care less about. (Funny thing that at ages aging from 0-25 you’d think people would be a little more mature about things) Anyway, I pretty much said to him “Oh well, Suit yourself”.
    Then My friend and I left, I felt there was no point in arguing with someone too ignorant and arrogant to listen to helpful advice.

A couple hours later, we were walking down the hall and we noticed the same guy going to other people about how great he thinks he is with swords and how stupid the rest of the instructors in my city are. And oddly enough people actually believe him.
    At the time, I thought to myself that if people want to be ignorant and oblivious then let them. But as I was driving home I started thinking, what if people actually starting doing stupid things like this guy, I mean sooner or later some person is going to hurt himself or at worse hurt someone innocent by accident.
    I mean I thought I was being pretty lenient by just walking away and ignoring the complete disrespect he showed towards anyone learning or teaching martial arts in my city. But now I’m kind of getting concerned about the well-being of others who get stuck in the middle of all this.

Anyway I’m wondering if any of you have come across anything similar and what did you do. I know that sometimes the best thing to do is nothing; however I’m a little worried about the safety of others here. Especially if the guy decides to bring a sword and “show us all” like he claimed he would.

I find its sometimes best not to argue, smile and nod and walk away.
    I dont study any sword art,and I'm the first to admit I know very little about them other than really enjoying watching those that do.
    Anime and urban myth have a lot to answer for when it comes to asian swords.
    Dont worry about the guy, karma will take care of him.Sooner or later he will be found out to be the fool he is.
    http://www.ausblade.com/ Home of the Production Sword Data base

Yulan, NY, yes I know you have never heard of it:D
    Darwin should prevail. You were in the right to do what you did. You cannot control everyone, certainly not morons like this guy, but just can tell anyone who is interested the truth.
    I dunno. Iron is sort-of the Paris Hilton of metals, and carbon, nickel, chromium silicon, etc. are a bunch of good looking guys she just met at a party. - Al Massey

Ian,

I agree with the overall ideal here of "just walking away".

Although this statement
    I pretty much told the guy that he should stop before he makes a fool of himself and possibly gets himself hurt with a real sword.
    Might get you in trouble depending on how it is interpreted.

Unfortunately we cannot educated the ones who are un-willing, no matter how hard you try, sometimes your attempts will be thwarted. I agree though it does not hurt to try. I offer my assistance once, if the person in question does not want to be educated then they do not deserve my time.

Your overall interest in the well being for others is in the right place and is always my concern as well, but you can't protect everyone all at once. Maybe you can approach the people that he has "bragged" to and offer them to visit the dojo if they are truly interested in what it means to be a Martial Artist. If they choose to take the word of some "braggart" then that is the way it is going to be and hopefully they will be in the right mind to do their own research prior to engaging in any stupid acts with an edged weapon with this person.

Blackwell
    "You will make my strength your own. You will see my life through your eyes, as your life will be seen through mine. The son becomes the father. And the father, the son. "

I know the type...and what is funny is they are actually the worst at martial arts.

Some people really get on my nerves, it does piss me off too though how everybody seems to believe them. The guy I knew people actually believed his BS. It's a shame.

On Finnish version of eBay (Huuto.net) there was an ad for a "Samurai Sword" that stated that it can chop down trees and if you chip the sword it's easy to fix.. I almost cried. Besides, it was probably a wallhanger anyway. That was an accident waiting to happen.
    Certified nerd; if you need an Excel sheet or an AutoCAD drawing done, just drop me a PM!

Think how lucky you are that there is someone in your city to filter off the idiots WRT swords! The good people should realize fast enough what a load of $%^& he is and go on to better instructors with just a short digression in their training.

Thomas

just look them in the eys and chuckle. i don't even look like a martial artist but that shuts them up.

if they keep going, crush them and afterward give them pointers. they will never bullshit again.

Ya Know....

It's just really too bad that at times like this incident, that you couldn't just happen to have a couple bokkens there, and just toss him one and ask him to , "Show Me" ........
    Onward, Ever Onward......Skip Allen

"Honor has not to be won; it must only not be Lost"........Arthur Schopenhauer (1788 - 1860)

"I know not what course others may take, but as for me, give me liberty, or give me death !!".......
    Patrick Henry, to the Virginia Convention, March 23, 1775

You did the right thing by walking away, I think, for two reasons:

One... "Never argue with an idiot, he brings you down to his level and beats you through sheer experience"

Two... he's so full of himself that trying to prove him wrong would only bring you trouble.

Quote Originally Posted by Ian Alexander View Post
    A couple hours later, we were walking down the hall and we noticed the same guy going to other people about how great he thinks he is with swords and how stupid the rest of the instructors in my city are. And oddly enough people actually believe him.
    Remember many folk will smile and nod politely when listening. It does not signify belief, only attention.

An auld saying: "You don't have to point out when there's a skunk at the dinner table."
    What are the facts? Again and again and again - what are the facts? Shun wishful thinking, ignore divine revelation, forget what "the stars foretell," avoid opinion, care not what the neighbors think, never mind the unguessable "verdict of history" — what are the facts, and to how many decimal places? You pilot always into an unknown future; facts are your single clue. Get the facts! - - Heinlein

Quote Originally Posted by Timo Qvintus View Post
    On Finnish version of eBay (Huuto.net) there was an ad for a "Samurai Sword" that stated that it can chop down trees....
    I don't know why, but that made me think of the scene from "Hoodwinked" where the woodsman is skipping through the forest cutting trees down with one handed swings.

Sadly people do buy into absurd claims like that. Here in Texas it seems like we have flea-markets (swap meets) on every corner. These places are jammed with vendors trying to push the bottom of the SLO barrel. I have actually seen parents buying preteens katanas from these vendors. You really have to wonder what some people are thinking.

Thanks guys for all the input. And yeah, I geuss a few days have gone by, and Im starting to see more and more fellow martial artists getting hassled by these people that this guy has talked to. For now its looking kinda ridiculous, and Im pretty surprised people havent realized the truth yet.
    As always Im hoping these people arent stupid enough to bring a blade to class. People gettign hurt is never a good thing.