Thread: Recommended blade to customize?

Recommended blade to customize?

Well, I think it would be cool to buy a sword, then truely make it my own. Kind of like a classic car you restore I suppose, add on a little here and there. Any way I'm looking at Daito (haha I think thats the right term). I've been out of the game for a while, and I wasn't all that established then so bear with me if I screw up some of the terminology. I've wanted to do this for some time, I just have to remember what I was looking at. If you need specifics, please don't be afraid to point out everything I forgot.

Thats basically it. I'm going to go look around old threads for some ideas. Haha I love this forum.

Dennis Wallace

Everything you forgot, well what did you really include? How long of a sword do you want, how much do you want to spend, what type, etc. And did you have something in midn with "daito"? As that is very generic. Or does none of this matter to you? I assume cost does.

Well on the low end, I recommend a Cheness 9260 through hardened blade. The blades themselves rock, but the fittings are just OK. Therefore I think it makes sense as blade to customize, or in other words a blade that would be awesome with better fittings. www.chenessinc.com
    http://www.fragmentsoflight.com - Photography site and blog. Mostly Landscape shots.

This is something that I've always wished to do as well, and given the time, funds, and tools to do so would be working on it every chance I could!

In my searching around I've wanted to purchase a blade in shirisaya to use for showing the blade alone. Then to make the sword truly customized I would make my own saya and tsuka, pretty much copying from the shirisaya and making sure to fit it with the blade as closely as possible. Fittings could be done through Fred Lohman or similar sites. Since I like a very robust but very simple tsuba (like the Paul Chen Practical Katana tsubas or double-ring musashi) I might even try making one of those myself for the sword.

I started on a project like this back before I moved for college. My dad has a sign manufacturing business so I had lots of tools and supplies to work on this kind of thing. I even hand forged out a blade, my very first tanto, and was working on trying to make saya and fittings and the such. I just ran out of time!

Cheness offers some blades in shirisaya. Their blades have recieved great praise around this forum, and I would love to have one myself. Hanwei also have several different blades in shirisaya, even a folded blade as used in the Tiger Katana. Of course, a blade mounted in shirisaya are not to be cut with, so you'd really have to make all your other fittings first, and make sure they are done properly, before you could use your sword.
    "There are three stages to being a swordsman...the third is where the sword disappears completely and in the warrior's heart there is only peace and a wish to coexist with everything around him."

My apologies, I didn't realize that I said next to nothing in that post haha. By "daito," I'm going with the very basic non descitpive definition, which is basically longer than usual. I haven't decided on an exact length just yet. It really does'nt matter, until I'm sure of what I want. Just looking for ideas. Speaking of which, thank you for reminding me of Cheness.

Shirisaya would be a perfect place to start. Excluding forgeing the blade yourself, I dont think you could get any more custom. T

Thank you both very much, now I have something to work with.

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis Wallace View Post
    Excluding forgeing the blade yourself, I dont think you could get any more custom.
    You can, by having your blade made to your own specifications.
    HwŠ­ere ■Šr fuse feorran cwoman
    to ■am Š­elinge. - Dream of the Rood

"Ah, Blackadder. Started talking to yourself, I see."
    "Yes...it's the only way I can be assured of intelligent conversation."
    - Lord Melchett and Lord Edmund Blackadder

Well...

You might also try MAS : http://www.martialartswords.com/index.php they have a blade in shirasaya available I believe, and it's L-6 .......If you prefer to just order a "custom" from them, they have some very attractive options, like blade length, tsuka length, full or partial Same' wrap, F/K and tsuba options, and some colors, and three blade geometry options.........
    Onward, Ever Onward......Skip Allen

"Honor has not to be won; it must only not be Lost"........Arthur Schopenhauer (1788 - 1860)

"I know not what course others may take, but as for me, give me liberty, or give me death !!".......
    Patrick Henry, to the Virginia Convention, March 23, 1775