Thread: Arik Estus and Family are alive and well...

Wink Arik Estus and Family are alive and well...

Just to let everyone know, Arik and Diane are going through the agony of upgrading to Microsoft Vista... Yes, agony...

Imagine, it's a beautiful sunny day (yes, even in the Pacific Northwest, it DOES happen), but Arik and Diane are unable to keep-up with their friends on Sword Forum... Their computers have been rendered inoperable, complete with the "Blue Screen of Death..."

I talked with Arik today, and told him that I would pass on to his friends that he, Diane, and the Estus Family, are alive and well, though suffering accute cyber deprivation... That being said, I've been assured by them, that Microsoft not withstanding, they'll be back upon the Internet... (Eventually ...)

If they're not up and running in the next few days, I'll get an address that snail mail may be able to reach... Possibly... Well, maybe if the Pony Express is reconstituted... Maybe not...

Anyway, Arik Estus, Laird of Glenmore is now, alive and well...

Carter, out...
    Last edited by Carter Leffen; 09-03-2007 at 06:42 PM. Reason: Smilie confusion...
    Freedom isn't free...

"There is nothing so comforting in a dark room, as three feet of cold steel." -Robert Anson Heinlein, American Patriot.

TANSTAAFL

Angry Windows Vista SUCKS!

Gah...I bought a laptop with Windows Vista a couple months after that OS was released. BIG mistake. Vista did not work with my Adobe software...actually, most of my stuff. I returned the laptop two days later, and bought a slightly-used Windows XP laptop off eBay.

If worse comes to worse, could Arik just install XP instead, and upload the necessary drivers from the Net?
    "Impossible" is a word that humans use far too often.
    - Seven of Nine

Ah, Windows XP...

Hi Lady Jenn!

Great picture!

Well, Diane has spent at least ten hours going from pillar to post at Microsoft's Malfunction Junction, never talking to the right person, even once!

Arik's Lady is a techno-geekette, and one way or another, she's determined to see it through. I won't go into the specifics, but Diane has a PLAN. If anyone can pull a hat out of a rabbit, it's Lady Diane...

I'm sure that the Laird is composing something that will be an ode to tackling unfriendly techno-dragons... Luckily, 'tis his Lady that's doing the fiddlin' beneath the 'puter's hood...

I'll be sure to pass on everyone's concern for their cyber future...

Take care, stay safe, be happy, and have fun, Lady Jenn...

Carter, out...
    Freedom isn't free...

"There is nothing so comforting in a dark room, as three feet of cold steel." -Robert Anson Heinlein, American Patriot.

TANSTAAFL

Yulan, NY, yes I know you have never heard of it:D
    Vist should be drawn and quartered, along with the complete friggin MONKEYS who invented it.
    I dunno. Iron is sort-of the Paris Hilton of metals, and carbon, nickel, chromium silicon, etc. are a bunch of good looking guys she just met at a party. - Al Massey

Thanks Carter, but I was more worried what happened to you!
    Good to hear from you.
    Tell the good Laird, that jerry said hi
    Barnyard bladesmith, burnt in the front, and frozen in the rear. Comic book metallurgist, too dumb to know that I can't do that.
    "I don't believe in the no-win scenario".. Captain Kirk.

It's good to be skilled, but better to be talented.
    It's good to be talented, but better to be gifted.
    It's good to be gifted, but best of all to be determined. - Me

"The precise balance of brains and balls, will ALWAYS trump those who have too much of one, and not enough of the other". - me

Vista is a classic Dilbert cartoon in the making. I came out last year to much fanfare, but the hardware required to run it correctly won't be out till next year.

I actually played around with Vista Beta last year and I thought it was great! It opened every file, could read anything from an Apple or Linux machine and was very fast in performance. But that was before all the eye candy, specific software and the removal of older drivers for what we still use. Big mistake on Microsoft's part, trying to force a migration to newer software when the older stuff was still barely a year old at the time. Operating Systems do not/should not skip a grade.
    I'm lost---- I've gone to look for myself. If I should return before I get back, please ask me to wait.

If you think education is expensive, try ignorance.

I work for Keyser Söze.

I am very sorry to hear this. I always thought Arik had better sense than to become involved with a[nother] PC platform; these can only lead to destruction, ruin, and depression on the part of the user.

Macs forever,
    Trish

Quote Originally Posted by Trish Davis View Post
    I am very sorry to hear this. I always thought Arik had better sense than to become involved with a[nother] PC platform; these can only lead to destruction, ruin, and depression on the part of the user....

Trish
    Me too. Arik should have an old computer with windows 98 in the shop, just for SFI. It's the A.B.B.A. way Jerry
    Barnyard bladesmith, burnt in the front, and frozen in the rear. Comic book metallurgist, too dumb to know that I can't do that.
    "I don't believe in the no-win scenario".. Captain Kirk.

It's good to be skilled, but better to be talented.
    It's good to be talented, but better to be gifted.
    It's good to be gifted, but best of all to be determined. - Me

"The precise balance of brains and balls, will ALWAYS trump those who have too much of one, and not enough of the other". - me

You all are scaring the piss out of me. Just this past w/e, the wife & I bought a new laptop with vista on it even though our home 'puter(this one) is on XP. I can see it's too early to post up lessons learned from the experience but I will check back here from time-to-time just in case.
    "Without a sign his sword the brave man draws,
    And asks no omen but his country’s cause."

---The Iliad of Homer, Book xii, Line 283

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb deciding what to have for dinner; Liberty is a well-armed lamb."
    ---Benjamin Franklin

Greetings all and Salutations

Im sort of back online. Yes, vista sucks the big green one in my book. The geeks at Microsoft spent the better part of a week trying to make it work in the wifes PC. They gave up on mine in 2 days. The missus spent all day today unraveling the vista nightmare and reinstalling Xp and then got the internet back up just for me to come here and snivel and whine some. My P_C is in the shop getting a tuneup. So, I will borrow the wifes business pc off and on for the next few days. I really do miss this pub and its patrons.
    "Do not suffer yourselves to be wheedled out of your liberty by any pretences of politeness, delicacy or decency.
    These, as they are often used, are but three names for hypocrisy, chicanery, and cowardice.” John Adams, 1789

"Everything the enemy least expects will succeed the best."

Frederick the Great 1747

Hello Arik! glad to see you back here in the pub....When I came back I didnt see any old faces....Glad to see you all popping back up
    Frith,
    RDM
    ~Asatru is not what we believe...its what we are~

Same story here. I bought a new computer with Vista. None of my software worked so I reinstalled xp. Now no problem. Screw vista.
    Si vis pacem, para bellum.

Once you try Mac, you never go back

Quote Originally Posted by John L. Washington View Post
    Same story here. I bought a new computer with Vista. None of my software worked so I reinstalled xp. Now no problem. Screw vista.
    You know what...I never thought I would see the day when I would want XP - which I used to call Xtra Problems - over any other OS.

Vista sucks!
    "Impossible" is a word that humans use far too often.
    - Seven of Nine

Unfortunately, ALL new laptops that have Vista installed CANNOT be rolled back to XP. The drivers just aren't there, and the systems are locked down to keep you from changing the OS. I thought PCs were supposed to be for the folks who like to tinker?!? I am a computer tech and I am seriously considering the switch to Mac; at least there, the locked down system actually friggin' WORKS!!! Say what you will about Macs, they rarely have issues with compatibility.

Oh, and good luck playing any games or using old s/w on Vista. Also, I work for at&t DSL; for some reason, Vista doesn't like our modems; you can really on reliably configure them from safe mode.
    Ne vile velis - Griffin Family Motto

In Vino Veritas; Uno Mas! - Personal Motto

Get it HOT! Hit it HARD! - The Art of Blacksmithing, distilled.

Quote Originally Posted by J.R. Griffin View Post
    Unfortunately, ALL new laptops that have Vista installed CANNOT be rolled back to XP. The drivers just aren't there, and the systems are locked down to keep you from changing the OS.
    One of my coworkers bought a new Toshiba laptop with Vista. He hated Vista and had the other IT guy wipe it out and load XP. Of course Toshiba had no XP drivers for that laptop. I eventually found my way to a forum where people were discussing the no-Toshiba-drivers problem. One of them had collected all the XP drivers from the original chip makers for the parts in that laptop. They worked like a charm. That solution only worked for that specific laptop but if you know what hardware is in your machine you can probably get XP drivers from the chip/module manufacturers instead of the PC maker.
    Örn Doomslayer a.k.a. Þorfinn , the one we don't let steer, Commander of the Twin Tiers

I had to get a new PC alst month, it came with Vista. I have everything on it I used to have including CS3, Norton and Office Professional. I have yet to see a single problem from it, and honestly, it might be because I got a computer with dual core processors and 2 gigs of Ram. But honestly, now that I have settled into life with Vista, I haven't missed a beat.
    Mike J Arledge
    Not hear? when noise was everywhere! it tolled
    Increasing like a bell. Names in my ears
    Of all the lost adventurers my peers,--
    How such a one was strong, and such was bold,
    And such was fortunate, yet each of old
    Lost, lost! one moment knelled the woe of years.

Robert Browning
    --Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    http://www.facebook.com/CreyrGlasLightworks

Quote Originally Posted by Sam Salvati View Post
    Vist should be drawn and quartered, along with the complete friggin MONKEYS who invented it.
    That's marketing geeks and greedy shareholders to you, bub!

Sometimes progress for it's own sake is anything but.
    Euthenist, Exorcist, Utilitarianist

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer Yabut View Post
    Gah...I bought a laptop with Windows Vista a couple months after that OS was released. BIG mistake. Vista did not work with my Adobe software...actually, most of my stuff. I returned the laptop two days later, and bought a slightly-used Windows XP laptop off eBay.

If worse comes to worse, could Arik just install XP instead, and upload the necessary drivers from the Net?
    From what I understand of it Vista offers beautiful multimedia abilities. BUT it is a RAM hog, takes forever to load, and really does best on machines with dual-core processors and many megs of RAM.

Full disclosure: I have some "geek" friends who have dumped Vista and returned to XP. It is mature, still supported by Microserf, and has most of the bugs worked out.

I'll stick with XP until it is no longer practical. Then I might switch to a Linux or other OS. My computing needs are not demanding, the one requirement being functional reliability.
    Euthenist, Exorcist, Utilitarianist